• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Intank to inline JBL 19/25 bubble rate

Just swapped over today from an aquario neo in tank diffuser and set up my JBL proflora 19/25 inline diffuser and although I understand different bubble sizes affects bubble rate but the bubble rate on this inline diffuser is alot more than the in tank maybe close to double. Is this normal, anyone else have this inline diffuser that can collaborate? Of course I'm doing pH readings to monitor that's how I know the difference. Many thanks,

There’s more surface area for gas transfer through the ceramic on the in-line compared to the intank so the back pressure on the co2 delivery line is less hence higher bubble rate and obviously increased co2 delivery to the water column. Best to check that the washers inside the unit are creating a good seal and not allowing gas to sneak around bypassing the ceramic and creating large bubbles in the flow stream.

:)

Thanks for the reply, I can't see any leaks and I'm not getting any bigger bubbles than I would with the intank diffuser so I'm guessing its ok. So the inline is obviously using more co2 to get to the same saturation being the ceramic having a higher surface area?

Thanks for the reply, I can't see any leaks and I'm not getting any bigger bubbles than I would with the intank diffuser so I'm guessing its ok. So the inline is obviously using more co2 to get to the same saturation being the ceramic having a higher surface area?

Hi,
Good that u don’t see any leaks because lots off people using it have that leak problem, I had it too. And I solved it by gluing the rubber seals to the ceramic.
Higher surface area doesn’t mean that it will use more CO2 to get the same saturation, it just mean that it will need lower pressure for CO2 to come trough the ceramic. So if your pressure stayed the same it will just let more CO2 get in than with your intank diffuser.
And because u changed the way off diffusing CO2 u will need again to follow the levels off CO2 dissolved in your tank and to settle on some bubble rate. It can happen that u will use less bps, or even more, depends from lots off factors in your tank.

Edit: I just realized that u already measured co2 levels and u settled on some bubble rate which is lot higher than before.
Than u should double check is the atomizer really forming small bubbles like mist and they are hanging in the water column, or they are not small enough and getting to the surface fast.
If they are not small enough u probably have that leaking between ceramic and rubber seals in atomizer. Jbl made big mistake by not fixing this together.

Last edited:
Ok I understand what your saying that's great info. I will give it a couple more days to bed in and see if the bubbles get any smaller as its only been 24hrs if not I think I will try glueing the 2 loose rubber seals to the ceramic that's a great idea, I'm running with the same pressure about 2.5 / 3 bar I think alot of people turn their pressure down with this diffuser?

Was both your rubber seals on each end loose? Mine are attached in the housing both ends you just need to line the ceramic up and tighten? I've just overly tightened see if that makes a difference.

Took my inline about 3-4 days before it started producing a really fine mist, up until then it was really small bubbles, much like the In tank diffuser I used previously.

Took my inline about 3-4 days before it started producing a really fine mist, up until then it was really small bubbles, much like the In tank diffuser I used previously.
Oh really, is it the JBL proflora? That's exactly how mine is behaving like my old intank diffuser, I'll give it more time before I start adding washers and doing modifications.

Yes it takes couple off days to run in. But if it has leaking it will not become better, at least from my experience.

Was both your rubber seals on each end loose? Mine are attached in the housing both ends you just need to line the ceramic up and tighten? I've just overly tightened see if that makes a difference.

They are fitted in the ledge in the hosing ends but u can take them out. Problem is that they are not connected to ceramic, because ceramic is porous and sometimes leak between it and rubber seal.

If u glue them together there is no chance that CO2 will escape between it and after running in, it will give fine CO2 mist.

U can use any waterproof glue really, I was using superglue because didn't wanna wait too long for it to dry, and it is safe for aquarium use. I was in hurry to get CO2 into the tank.

U can use any waterproof glue really, I was using superglue because didn't wanna wait too long for it to dry, and it is safe for aquarium use. I was in hurry to get CO2 into the tank.
This exactly my situation, I have uhl glue but it takes time might nip to the shop and give it a go.

Think better no but I’m not sure.
If u will use super glue make sure that u will cover the edges off ceramic which are going on a rubber completely that no CO2 will be able to escape there.
And be careful not to drip the glue on other parts of ceramic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think better no but I’m not sure.
If u will use super glue make sure that u will cover the edges off ceramic which are going on a rubber completely that no CO2 will be able to escape there.
And be careful not to drip the glue on other parts of ceramic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I done maintanence earlier today and glued the two seals to the ceramic and I can report it has been a succes especially that the inline has only been running 24hrs. The co2 now comes out like an intake diffuser sat right under a power head intake getting chopped up. It may get even better next couple of days with more bedding in. Thanks for that, that was a god's send :cool:🆒

Back