• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Intense melting in Buce tissue cultures

Framed Nature

Hi everyone!

Recently set up a nano tank with multiple buce tissue cultures and a few "adult" buce. All has been smooth for a week approximately when two days ago I woke to one very specific clump melting so I removed it and did a water change. Woke up today with almost all buce tissue cultures just melting and alot of algae picking up so sudden. Ammonia tested at 4ppm which is INSANE from my experience. Nothing died in the tank (besides buce), and nothing aside from remineralization of RO water has been added. Any potential culprits?

Curious if anyone has insight on why buce tissue cultures melted but other plants in the tank look untouched. Also, is this a common occurrence with buce tissue cultures or are they very sensitive when coming from tissue culture?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:
.Ammonia tested at 4ppm which is INSANE from my experience.

Curious if anyone has insight on why buce tissue cultures melted but other plants in the tank look untouched. Also, is this a common occurrence with buce tissue cultures or are they very sensitive when coming from tissue culture?

Buceps are very prone to melting in new tanks that have not been sufficiently cycled. It is quite deceptive as they ‘look hardy’ and have tough looking leaves. However as slow growers they expend considerable energy to adapt to new environments, and are very vulnerable to ammonia damage in new tanks, which measurements of surface water may not reveal.

This is for regular Buceps.... tissue culture will be even more vulnerable.

Hi ! I faced the same issue with buce (from tissue culture) while starting my tank. Almost completely melted. But...

I left them, and after one or two weeks, new leaves started to appear, now they are fully healthy. Seems to be more or less the same as crypts, complete melting and then retrieve... Maybe sensitive to ammonia or new set tanks.

Time for them to adapt to they new environment... What about the rhizome ? Is it still green or brown ? On my buces, all the leaves melted but the rhizome remained green, then after a while new leavelets appeared :)

Back