• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interesting day!

Steve Smith

Hey guys. I'm still on holiday at the moment. I fly home on Monday, which I'm not really looking forward too. I'm spending my last week staying with my brother and family. We're spending our time fishing, doing family stuff, shopping etc but today we had something else to do.

Being the USA, guns are pretty common and today we went to the local wildlife area to shoot stuff. The local wildlife park has a shooting range which you just turn up at and set up your own targets and away you go.

My bro's friends had a pile of different rifles. We had 12 guns to try out. I've never shot a gun before - at least, nothing more than BB guns/air rifles. On offer today was quite a few .22 rifles and some larger rifles, including some "classic" Russian rifles - one from the 1940's and one from the 1950's.

We started off easy with the .22 rifles. My bro has a pump action .22 which belongs to his mother in law. No real kick from it, and not too loud. I quite liked these. They were pretty accurate.

Next was a 12 gauge shotgun. We had a clay pigeon flinger with us and I sucked at it! Pretty hard kick, but again, not to bad.

Next was a 9mm pistol. I wasn't too keen on this. Nasty kick and fecking loud! Quite exhilarating though. I wasn't too accurate with it though.

Next was one of the Russian riffles. All I can say is OH MY GOD! Loudest gun and hardest kick. I shot about 5 rounds, which was enough for me!

Finally was a Colt AR 15. This thing is like a mini assault rifle! Not as bad recoil, but almost as load. I was apprehensive about this one, but again, pretty exhilarating!

All in all an crazy experience. It was bizarre dropping by the gun shop on the way home to buy replacement ammo for the guys kind enough to let us use their rifles. Simply walk in, pick up ammo and buy it. No ID required. Buying a gun is a different matter, but still just a case of needing a drivers license for ID. Driving around with a small arsenal in the car was weird, but perfectly legal.

Strange day, but actually more enjoyable than I thought! I forgot my camera, but my mate has photo somewhere. I'll post it when I get hold of it.

Sounds good to me.

I recently had a go with a pump action shotgun. Shooting clays from the hip, I got two out of three and there were five or six Marines there that were missing all of them! (mind you: they don't use pump-actions - that's their excuse!) I'm more use to a mastic gun and I can make a mess with that.

Happy days!

A quick pic :D

Steve+AR15.jpg

There were a few faces at the end of the scope, I can tell you! (one of my traveling companions for a start!) :twisted:

Definitely an interesting experience, but yes - one for the gun range and controlled environments...

Back