• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interesting sword for 3 footer

beeky

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan the layout of my 3' tank (18" high, 15" wide - I can't think in cm!). I really like the look of some of the new red echinodorus species/varieties such as ozelot, red flame etc. I don't want it to swamp my tank though as I want some space for other plants and wood etc.

Can anyone recommend a nice red flecked sword that won't go beserk? Any tips on placement/aquascaping with swords? They don't get used very often as far as I can see. Will tropica substrate be enough for it/them or should I beef it up with something else?

Cheers,
Graham

Hi,
large Swords and Aponogetons have lost favor ever since the advent of the nature aquarium aquascaping techniques became popular. The discovery and development of other exotic stems as well as new carpet plants have left very little room for these "old school" varieties. I really love the Ozelot and it can be used as a centerpiece. Normally, the colored versions of swords do not grow as large or as quickly their plainer green brethren and can be used in the midground. If they do get too big just uproot, cut the roots back, prune and replant. The larger green versions can become monsters so are best placed strictly along the back or in the rear corners.

Look carefully at the stem (or lance) to leaf ratio in the Tropica images. If the lance is long relative to the leaf it will become invasive and spread obnoxiously. If the lance is shorter then the plant will grow more like a rosette and will behave more politely.

Cheers,

The smallest red flecked sword I'm aware of is Echinodorus schlueteri 'Leopard' It's one of the parents of E.'Ozelot'. I've got E.'Red Flame' and it gets pretty big and is just a slightly spottier 'Ozelot' IMO.
The smallest red sword I've grown in E.'Red Diamond' from Tropica but that isn't red flecked. E.'Oriental' is pretty manageable too, but with pink new leaves rather than red.

The following red Swords are just the right size for a 3ft aquarium.

- Echinodorus barthii
- Echinodorus horemanii 'Red' (may be difficult)
- Echinodorus 'Oriental' (young leaves are pink)
- Echinodorus osiris (young leaves are reddish brown)
- Echinodurus 'Ozelot' (red specks)
- Echinodurus 'Red Flame' (red specks)
- Echinodurus 'Red Rubin' (the regular version and the narrow leaf version are all easy)

Most of these are very easy to grow and creates a striking centerpiece in the aquarium. The younger leaves are always the more attractive ones and the older, mature leaves can be removed easily.

Ben

Many thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at all of them and think about it.

Incidentally, while googling I came across http://www.freepatentsonline.com. If you search for echinodorus it's got some nice descriptions of E. "Indian Red" and "Red Flame" and probably has other genus' as well. If you register (free) you get to see the pictures, but it's not really worth it as they look like poor quality b&w photocopies!

Back