• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Internal filter

Ashton

I'm just in the process of ordering a plain glass tank, 24 x 18 x 18 ins and want an internal filter. I know an external would be better but I have arthritis in my spine and can't manage lower levels so need something I can maintain easily without all the bending.

I was thinking of a U3 as I do like the U2 I have at the moment, but the U3 is so big I was wondering if it would take up too much room :? Is there any other filter that anyone could recommend that would cope with, and even over filter, 113 litres and is physically smaller, but just as good as the U3 :)

Personally, I'd rather an aquaball than a U series. Have a U3 and an aquaball (with 3 sponges and ceramic media) in my 90l. IMO Aquaball has/is

Less maintenance: My U3 needs to be cleaned more frequently than the aquaball to maintain flow.
Better flow: flowrate appears better from the aquaball despite similar ratings (perception only, not tested)
Cheaper to maintain: I find the need to regularly buy pads for the fluval expensive. The eheim sponges have lasted over a year so far with no noticable loss of flow
Easier to clean: It is a pain to get muck out of the fluval's built in spraybar even with a brush.
Easily upgradable by adding media baskets for under a tenner.
The filter bracket is strong but simple. I find the fluval one awkward.

Have to say that Fluval were very good when my first U3 was faulty (kept stopping). They replaced it very quickly. Can't compare this with Eheim as that filter has never gone wrong.

The aquaball is taller and narrower than the fluval marketed for 100-200l. Here's the spec.
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/ ... 939f88f484

Thanks for replies, I've been looking at the Aquaball and also the Eheim Powerball and I think I'll probably go for one of them :thumbup: Thanks for your help and advice

Back