• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Internal Glass Cleaning

maj74

Just wondering what people use for cleaning the inside of their tanks?

It's 10mm glass - so a little thick for magnet cleaners - and to be honest they always end up with grit trapped and the glass scratched.

I'm guessing the safest option for avoiding scratches is a blade cleaner - just wondered if there was any option I was missing!

Yes , the magnetic ones are devils for holding the grains of sand that cause most of the scratches on the glass.

Been using a razor blade in one of those cheap long handled sticks, find its better than the type that use a stanley blade.

For cleaning the corners a medium toothbrush readily removes most deposits without disturbing the silicone.

I have a toothbrush cable-tied to a bit of 1/4” dowel which was kicking about - does the job, and extra length means I can get in and mostly keep my hands dry.

Dennerle cleanator for me too, great little sponge.

I find a sponge the quickest and easiest.

A lot of the new aquarium sponges are melamine foam (magic erasers) and they seem to work well.

Last edited:
a mag if its needed, from the days of not wanting to get bitten, but when I originally set it up as marine the light foot print was designed as such very little get to the glass, so its very rare any thing needs removing

Nerite snails.... I haven't cleaned the inside glass for some time now but it is pretty clear.
Only downside is that they can leave their unsightly eggs around.

I use an old credit card! It works very well for a couple reasons. It’s plastic, and since you’re using such a fine edge, it’s not likely to hold sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd search for the 'Cleanator' and see what people thought and found this thread. No one has mentioned that theirs sheds its tiny metal wire part all over their substrate... Is that just me?
Mine does. I haven’t used it much though - curious to see what others say.

I've been using Aqua Vitro tank cleaning pad. It comes in a pack of 4 decent sized sheets which can be cut down to a handy size, is gentle enough on glass and even claims to be safe for acrylic tanks although I've never tested that. I guess it could possibly pick up sand like other pads do but again, I don't have sand in my tank so I don't have experience of that aspect. Lasts for ages too. Personally I love it and will get another pack when this runs out, but that won't be for many months yet.

Flipper magnet (blade side) or Tunze care magnet (both pricey) do not trap grit and thus don't scratch the glass. They can go up to 10mm glass.

Razor blade scraper if I can see any GSA on glass and good quality paper towels that don’t dissolve very easy, now even acquired electric toothbrush for cleaning rocks, still waiting for first electric shock but nothing yet 😂

Back