• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Introducing new fish at night?

Emyr

Just wondering if it would be okay or a bad idea to add new fish to my tank at night? I work in London but live down in the country and travel by train, am aiming to pick up some new fish from the aquatic design center on friday but would get back in the evening when the light has gone off on my tank, I am currently doing a blackout on the tank to get rid of a bit of BGA until saturday morning, so would be adding them when it is fully dark for the light to come on in the morning. 70L tank with 8 tetra and 2 guppies. What do people think? Thanks.

I'm sure that would be fine. I did read an article once that mentioned that for certain fish you should introduce them with the lights off. Probably the biggest concern is how long your journey home is.

No probs. In fact I have done that exact thing on several occasions.

ADC to Dunton Green, nr Sevenoaks late at night on one occasion (10:30 - last train). I suppose in total the fish were in transit for ~2 hours. If you mention it to them, they will put a little more O2 in for you.

I've brought fish back to Wiltshire from Bridgend - 2 hours(ish) without any problems. Make sure that they're in a dark bag (e.g. brown paper) to minimise the amount of light they get else it could stress them out. I nearly always introduce new fish with the light off and wait for at least 30 minutes for them to settle before turning it back on. Have added in fish overnight without any issues too.

I seldom run light over quarantine tank and it has posed no problem's.

Hi all,
When I'm collecting or transferring fish, I use either an insulated polystyrene "fish" box.
chill-boxes.jpg

But if it is only 1 or 2 fish, an insulated cool bag is much easier to carry and considerably more convenient.
I use this one at the moment, because it is about the right size, but any similar one would do.

National_trust_Bag.gif

cheers Darrel

Attachments

• National_trust_Bag.gif
    National_trust_Bag.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 80
  • National_trust_Bag.gif
    National_trust_Bag.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 90
Back