• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Introduction to Tail WAGS!

beaki

Seedling
May i begin by introducing myself and to give you a bit of background information behind this new section of the forum!

I am Beaki (aka Becki), wife to Big Danne. After the BBQ at George's house on Saturday i managed to blag them to let me have a section on the website to moan about the amount of time my husband and i am sure your partners spend with their hands or tools in a tank!

Now just for the record, i am very pleased that my husband has a hobby that he feels passionatly about. I also very much like to have a nice fish tank in my house, i personally think they are very relaxing and theraputic. However (and this is where my moaning begins!), how many times have you sat down to have a nice evening with your partner to watch a film to glance across lovingly at him and notice him either watching the tank or having one eye on the internet!

Another situation that i more familiar with is dinner time! Let me set the scene - we have just moved into a new house that needs a lot of work, after a hard days work we sit down to spend some quality time together over dinner, i start talking (or ranting as Big Danne would call it) and he is sat watching his tank!

In favour of the hobby though - my plants in the back garden are doing very well! It seems that plants like all this water change buisness! Now that Big Danne has seen just how happy i am with having an established garden, he seems to think that that means he has another couple of hours grace a night to fiddle with the tank!

One more rant before i sign off and let you have your say - please tell me that i am not the only person who is fed up of living with only half the under sink cupboard! I am a bit of a tidy freak - and used to have all my cleaning products for the house neatly placed under the sink - now all my stuff seems to have been shoved up the corner and have been replaced with 3 orange buckets, a load of miniture garden tools (which i like to use sometimes to pretend i am giant with! :D) white powders (which i dont like to ask about! LOL!) rocks, wood, pipes, and tubes!

Someone please tell me that my husband isnt the worst out there!!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Beaki x

Ill send my bloke along here...... i have a horrible feeling he may identify with basically everything you have said......

*goes into hiding.... from a place where she can see at least two tanks....*

i have to say my boyf would completely agree with you too, he likes the fish, one of the tanks is even 'technically' his, although most of the livestock in it is mine, but he doesnt understand the complete addiction i have to messing with and watching tanks, and talking about them. i can see my reef tank from the settee, and i have to admit to watching the fish swim around rather than than whatever is on the telly, when he manages to persuade me to sit and watch a film. :rolleyes: but it gives him chance to play xbox which he doesnt usually complain about, unless i disappear out to the fish shop, and im gone for hours. :rolleyes: :oops:

LOL :lol: only just seen this bit of the forum! I guess I'm quite lucky that we are both equally obsessed. He does have a tendancy to tell me I can't afford new clothes and then spend stupid sums on a new protein skimmer or some other toy for his marine tank!

Beacki - a really easy way to reclaim the space under the skin - I told b/f I was very surprised he'd taken to keeping his marine salt next to the bleach :wideyed: surely bleach and fish don't mix :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed: suddenly that huge box of marine salt and all the other bits have found a new home! 8)

I think the money thing is a man thing. My fiance will be like, I couldn't possible take you out because I have no money...

Then hes buying games and blu-ray dvds for his PS3 :twisted:

Yeah, I tease him that £50 in the LFS is just a typcial Sunday, but £50 on a handbag is just ridiculous! ;)

It's not all like that, you know! :p

My wife is currently in Prague on a girls' weekend, whilst I look after the kids and earn money (for my wife to spend) from the hobby by writing blogs, articles etc. when they're asleep... :D

I still love it though.

And to be fair, my good lady puts up with a lot from me...

Ah fair enough :D Didn't mean offence! I also take critism about women well though... I don't dish out what I can't take. My fiance is enraged with my post and has pointed out he did buy me kfc yesterday...

My wife complains constantly that all I care about is the fish tank to which I reply:

It was you that wanted it. I didn't so its your fault.

I only got into fishkeeping when I gave into her demands for a fish tank only to take it over the day after getting it when she found out about water changes, cycling etc.

She thought it was fill with water and pick any selection of fish and throw em in (not aware of compatibility or stocking quantities etc.) The only thing she thought she needed to do was put some flakes in every now and again. lol

She still comes up with silly suggestions (shes not so clever) like: 'Why dont you get a seahorse!!!) to which I then try to explain the difference between marine and Freshwater Tropical etc. lol

Her reply to this as per all females (eek) is a dismissive 'You think you know it all, Why do you always have an answer for everything?'

So girls remember to think before you ask for things as your boyfriend, husband or "aquaintance" will throw it back in your face.

(unless you ask for some new lingerie which he is more likely to signal towards, by tilting his head several times in the 'said' garments' direction, with a mischievious and hopeful glint in his eyes complete with an abundance of eyebrow raisng and lowering)

Andy

LOL! I bought him all he needed to get his tank up and running again after 5 years out of the hobby! I also fully hold my hands up to getting the ball rolling on our current 4ft marine set up! :D That said, I'm the one that does the maintenance religiously and nags him into water changes. :lol:

It just makes me laugh that we 'can't afford' a weekend in Barcelona and I definately 'can't afford' a new handbag, but £75 on some beautiful corries last week and a new little tank for them to breed in this week are all ok (even though we've got spare tanks piled up in the garage!) :?

Luckily me and the fiance got into fishkeeping at the same time :) but he keeps brackish, and I am the same as you nickyc, I have to persuade him to do waterchanges...

"But I like the algae, it looks natural"
"Thats not algae thats moss" (It WAS moss, now its algae crawling over dead moss)
"I don't want to give it a waterchange and upset the balance of the tank"

Lisa_Perry75 said:
"I don't want to give it a waterchange and upset the balance of the tank"

How many times have I heard that?!?! :lol:

At this point should acknowledge that he offered to buy me a little breeding tank for my corries today :D :D :D I know we've got spare tanks, but this one does look nice... :)

Well what a stir this thread has caused!

I have been given my orders by Dan to get on here and confess to you guys that he isnt as bad as I have made out! lol :D

Unfortunatly my father taught me never to lie!! ;)

i can sympathise with the whole 'relegated tanks in the garage' syndrome - my husband came home the other day with a new tank (i'll admit it was for testing purposes) but then tried to sell the idea to me by telling me i can have some Nemo fish (sorry percula clowns!!) :D *or as my husband is trying to tell me over my shoulder 'amphiprion percula'*

Please dont get me wrong, although i think fish are weird things that just swim around in the tank, i actually have quite a love for crazy green plants! :D

I am now very conscious that it is 10.15pm and i am getting as bad as my husband spending what should be intimate time sitting on the internet.

Bec

p.s - George - how's about a nice mug of stop complaining!! lol

Back