Intruder

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Egmel, 29 Apr 2008.

1. Egmel

Egmel Member

I've posted this on TFF but seeing as I think he came in on my last greenline order I thought I might have more luck here...

Anyone know what this is, I've seen a couple in the tank but this was the only one I was able to catch, about 1cm long and it appears to be a predator of some kind, the way it moves suggests it hunts smaller organisms.

Just want to know the usual...
    Will it harm - me, my fish, my shrimp, my snails, my plants!
    Will it multiply at a speedy rate if I don't get rid of it now.

2451079253_537e58f805_o.jpg
    Birds eye view
    2451904630_008854a853_o.jpg

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

Dragonfly larvae. I'd get them out asap as they can eat small fish. I have heard reports that they can catch fish about twice their own size and also can bite your finger and draw blood.

James

3. Egmel

Egmel Member

Cheers for that, will get rid of them before they get any bigger then. Hope they haven't killed my cherry shrimp, I had some slightly smaller ones. :wideyed:

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Wow that is some crazy stuff, looks amazing though :)

5. Egmel

Egmel Member

Hence why I was a little hesitant to kill it.

If I could guarantee they were UK ones then I'd keep them in some water outside, as it is I'm worried that if they're not UK ones I may be introducing some pest to the local area that I really don't want to. I'm afraid I will kill on sight in future.

Had they been harmless I would have kept them in the tank, always nice to have interesting things.

6. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

If you don't get rid of them, they look like pretty much permanent residents:

And also:

And last:

7. Egmel

Egmel Member

That's the worrying bit, as I say I think they may have had some of my cherry shrimps already :(