• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Invasion of algae on algae eaters

tiger15

My algae eating snails are getting algae invasion on their shell. . The snails are in my window sill zero tech shrimp bowl that receives afternoon sunlight. The dwarf hair grass also get some on the stems. They look like bba in texture but too green to be red algae. What algae is it and how to get rid of.

Attachments

• 86FFF406-C249-4477-BD72-9353EA58FB6F.jpeg
    86FFF406-C249-4477-BD72-9353EA58FB6F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 249
  • 092BFAC9-3C2F-499E-9853-CA24D7117EB0.jpeg
    092BFAC9-3C2F-499E-9853-CA24D7117EB0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 189
Hi all,
My algae eating snails are getting algae invasion on their shell. . The snails are in my window sill zero tech shrimp bowl that receives afternoon sunlight. The dwarf hair grass also get some on the stems. They look like bba in texture but too green to be red algae. What algae is it and how to get rid of.
It is the same green algae that the Nerites eat, they can’t graze their own shells.

You get it a lot on Limpets (Patella spp.) in rock-pools for the same reasons.

Cheers Darrel

Mine are on ramshorn too, but not all of them get it. Are they hair algae? Some are completely free of algae, so I wonder if the health of the snail has something to do with it. They look like moving moss balls, or sort of camouflage. I saw the cherry shrimp graze on the snail shell, but not remove it. They don’t stick to rock or glass surfaces, just snail shell and hair grass stems.

My best guess it might be some kind of Cladophora. And the snail's health is not in danger. Its shell is a non-living tissue comparable with the hardscape. If an algae spore settles on it it will grow on.

But as you experience it can also attach to living tissue such as plant leaves. I also have it growing to some large crypts, and remarkable only at the leaves edges. Best guess again, algae are like mosses, don't have roots, more like rhizoids that grow into nooks and crannies of whatever. It is so tiny it even grows in between cell structures of living tissue (Plants) and anchor in between. I've seen mosses also attach to plant tissue. :)

Back