• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inventing nature

obsessed

https://www.fastcompany.com/3044877/the-golden-ratio-designs-biggest-myth
Take a look yourself. I'm a numbers guy and you can shuffle rearrange numbers to suit most cases.
Not just this but a lot more scientific research has been done.
We need to expand ideas, break the rules and move forward.
Have to say George f is and has to be the most honest scaper on yt and in general. I have just finished an article on algae sticking to rocks and how you most likely have to scrub said rocks every week by amano takashi. Dont get fooled and obsessed with any of the rules and very basic concept of 3rds, focus points. It's all about nature which is random or is it. What a diorama.

Theres more
I nearly named this thread open your mind and eyes but was being polite.
I'm not sure about it all.
Maybe my scapes need it

Last edited:
I read that article a little while ago. Some Architects may use the Golden Section or whatever you want to call it in their work but for everyday objects 3:2 or 4:3 often seems to be used.

I do often wonder why tank dimensions don't "follow the rules" in terms of height and length. You would think this would be absolutely key to get right... sure enough they follow a simpler ratio as above.

Even the don't put stuff in the middle rule doesn't work for me - there are some great island layouts that break this rule.

My personal thinking on the matter is that beauty is achieved through experimentation and sketching layouts. Hardscape dojos etc. oh an experience basically makes you quicker at 'finding beauty' with your hardscape.

One thing I would always avoid is symmetry. Perhaps this is better than a complex ratio rule?

algae sticking to rocks and how you most likely have to scrub said rocks every week

I tend towards limited nutrient water column dosing, most scapes I set up, there’s a cycle to rock algae - (almost) perfectly clean for the first couple months, then algae building and declining over some while (weeks to months), then back to minimal algae ... until I break down the scape
At this stage, I can smell algae (biofilm?) present on the rocks so put them through a cleaning cycle before storing away

Sometimes I think about scrubbing rocks ... but, really, who wants to do that :eek:
It’s true, I’m unrepentantly lazy :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have to admit I'm still learning every day but yeah scrubbing rocks, not a great job on the list of things to do, I also like a bit of green on the rocks. That's my excuse anyway ;)
I have noticed it dwindle on its own then slowly build up again, I did not realise it has kind of cycle,
Good to know :thumbup:

lol in one sentence the writer says "its bull"

then 3 sentences later i stop reading because, i dont care.

If someone uses the golden ratio and makes a stunning scape (couldn't tell you how many times this has happened, to many to ever document i bet) then good for them

Why shouldn't i use it? im not here for numbers, i think the lines help me out a bit in the design aspect. Simple as that. I use some other methods to but im a fanatic for the hobby, so whatever works goes.

Have to say its not about the 1 article I linked, just about the idea in general.
Why shouldn't i use it?

I'm not saying dont use it.
It's just sharing ideas thoughts and possibilities.
I believe in sharing interesting info that you can research yourself as I did, not just read a sentence and call bullshit, I did not even imagine there would be scientific articles against . I suppose theres always 2 sides. Even the fibonacci sequence has some meaning and effect.
One of my points is to just open up some other avenues. You cannot just stick things in the golden spots and call it a day that's just my view, theres a lot of infomation missed out that would or maybe help ease the learning curve in the hobby and that maybe new comers might lighten up a little and not be so fixed on numbers like I was. I'm surely not the first member to mention this.
Thankyou your input it will all help.
Kind regards

Last edited:
Everytime I see Adam Paszczela’s aquariums from Idea Studio Poland I’m amazed by the layered perspectives/intricacies in his scapes - they are extraordinary

Theres also a brilliant scape that has a diverse prospective in 2013 position (107) IAPLC. I did find a post on here about it but cannot find it now.
Way ahead of its time.
I will check out Adam's work, cheers

Wow Adam's ada idea studio is proper zen. He has the Japanese wabi sabi going on strong. He's definitely inspired by amano but with a twist. Glad you put me on to him, I'm really impressed with his art so far, I will watch and read more about him for sure.
Cheers alto

Last edited:
Back