• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inverts for Nothobranchius guentheri tank

What pH are you looking at Robbie? There are a few shrimps like Crystal Red that prefer a lower pH than most.

They would eat dwarf shrimp when they are adults, even amano shrimp might not be safe.

They would eat dwarf shrimp when they are adults, even amano shrimp might not be safe.
Does not have to be shrimp, as I have said, some sort mollusc or any other form of invertebrate would be fine. I'm just doing some research as to what is available. I do not intend to stock anything in the near future, not until the eggs are hatched and I have an adult pair ready.

Hi all,
I'd be interested if you could keep them with cherry shrimp
They would eat dwarf shrimp when they are adults, even amano shrimp might not be safe
I think Liam is probably right, I didn't have shrimps when I kept them, (it was probably before shrimps had been "invented"), but they will attack and try and eat anything that moves.

MTS should be OK.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I think Liam is probably right, I didn't have shrimps when I kept them, (it was probably before shrimps had been "invented"), but they will attack and try and eat anything that moves.

MTS should be OK.

cheers Darrel
Hi mate, do you mean Melanoides tuberculata?
What about Ramshorn snails or other snails? Assassin snails are cool but I believe I need an already established snail population for a food source.
I read that Melanoides tuberculata can carry some nasty parasites that can be dangerous to humans & fish.

Last edited:
MTS should be OK.
Fully agree with Darrel. MTS or Ramshorn snails and the like should be no problem. I would not trust them with any type of shrimp - even large ones such as Amanos or even Atya's. My killis decimated dozens of Amanos within a few days and I had to remove Atyas to save them as they were constantly being harassed and picked at.

Ramshorn snails are in fact really useful as they eat any left over freshly hatched brineshrimp when they die of, as well as any other left over food (within reason), so can help keep up your water quality.

Fully agree with Darrel. MTS or Ramshorn snails and the like should be no problem. I would not trust them with any type of shrimp - even large ones such as Amanos or even Atya's. My killis decimated dozens of Amanos within a few days and I had to remove Atyas to save them as they were constantly being harassed and picked at.

Ramshorn snails are in fact really useful as they eat any left over freshly hatched brineshrimp when they die of, as well as any other left over food (within reason), so can help keep up your water quality.
Cheers bro, Will have to go on a pond forage and get me some Ramshorn snails. I have a few tiny ones that I found in my water butt but I'll look for some larger ones. Really digging the Nerite snails, especially the horned type. Need to find a good online source for some healthy specimens. If anyone can recommend a source that sells nice healthy Nerite, I would appreciate it :)

Back