• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Involuntary Caridina mischling project, how proceed?

RedRuby

Seedling
Hi,

I bought 10 CRS at the end of November to leave to their own devices in a low tech tank and they have done well, I have 100+ shrimp already. I was at first dismayed to see that some of the offspring, however pretty, did not look like CRS but were of red and black coloration so I figured something was wrong with them.

I came across some info on TB shrimp yesterday and realised at least some of the CRS I bought are mischlings, among the offspring I have two really nice Black King Kongs and a few dozen Red Ruby, most with white patterns and a handful of 100% red Red Diamonds / Red King Kongs.

I really like the look of the TB shrimp I now have so I'm considering setting up a small tank or two to isolate them. My conundrum with the rest is that I have no idea who is a mischling and who is a CRS, so I worry that if I just let the main tank population explode the TB genes will dilute and disappear. Maybe I should just let the original 10 shrimp stay isolated and do their thing and scoop out the TB shrimplets?

Any other suggestions? Maybe some clever ideas for selective breeding? The molting females tend to hide at the top of my stem plants so netting them and isolating them with an appropriate male would be very easy.

And another Q at the top of my head - what kind of shrimplets are produced if you mix Black and Red King Kongs?

Thanks!

Back