IRC Channel

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by Matt Holbrook-Bull, 18 Jun 2008.

?

if we had an IRC channel, would we use it??

1. yes

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. no

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. I only come here to read, I dont want to talk to you as well!

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Matt Holbrook-Bull Founder

enquiring minds, want to know

2. JamesM

JamesM Member

Re: IRC Poll

I haven't used IRC for years, but I would probably pop in now and then... kids + live chat doesn't always work :lol: :rolleyes:

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

:lol:

there isnt that many kids on here is there? Only egulars i know is me & lUke and were are old enough ;)

4. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

I use IRC all the time really.

5. JamesM

JamesM Member

I'm on about my kids :p

I can be there happily chatting away one minute, then get called away or distracted and be gone for hours. I got banned from one place for ignoring people :lol: I think I was changing a nappy at the time :lol:

6. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Id password the room so that only UKaps members could get on. And obviously post the password here!

7. JamesM

JamesM Member

What I don't like about live chat is there is no record of what's been said that could be useful to others, without posting the full log or sorting through it looking for good bits. You'll also get a lot of 'how much do I dose?' and 'why wont my plants grow?' questions which can't be answered properly in a room full of people.

8. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Sounds good.

If we get issues, we can simply stop it.

9. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Go for it. :p

10. Superman

Superman Member

I'm on msn most of the evenings. But if we chat some chat room or something then I'd certainly use it

11. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

There is a IRC hack for PHPBB you could incorporate it into the forum ;)

12. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

I don't know what IRC is. Is it just a chat room? I would use it.

13. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

Yeah it is pretty much.

14. nickyc

nickyc Member

I'm inclined to agree with James. I look at quite a lot of old posts so that I can learn. If the discussion is mostly elsewhere that wouldn't happen. I know the existing posts would still be there as a resource but it could end up taking the life out of this forum.

Not so sure about this though, in fact it's possible that quite the reverse would happen. I could see those who know less and are new to planted tanks being too intimidated to ask in a live chat room so you could loose the newbies.

Sorry not to be more positive

15. Matt Holbrook-Bull

Im thinking that an IRC channel would be more a place to hang out and insult George.. ;)

any serious questions would still be posted as I cant see that many people being on there at any one time. I just think it would add another dimension to the society and maybe create some real friendships :)

16. LondonDragon

What are you waiting for then??? :p let me know the channel name and server you hosting it on ;)

17. LondonDragon

UPAKS is now oficially on IRC ;)

download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com or any other IRC script that you prefer.

Then to join the server type: /server irc.starchat.net

server details if needed by other software:
    address: irc.starchat.net
    ports: 6667-6669,7000

Once on the server you must first register the nickname so that everyone knows its always you and not someone else.
    You can chat without registering a nickname but its recommended you registered it.

First change to the nickname you want, by typing /nick nickname ; in my case /nick LondonDragon
    If the name is already registered you will receive a warning to identify it, if no message comes up then its yours.

Just type on the text input: /nickserv register youremail@mail.com yourpassword

You must use a valid email address as you will need to activate it and pick a password of your choice to identify your nickname everytime you login to the server. i.e. /nickserver register londondragon@email.com letmein1234

You will then receive an email with a code to active the nickname or it will be deleted in 24 hours. On the email you will see a line with: /msg NickServ ACTIVATE XXXX where XXXX is a number, just copy that line and enter is on the mIRC window.
    That will active your nickname, in future when you log in type /nick nickname to change to the nickname you want and then /nickserv identify yourpassword to identify yourself as the user of that nickname.

Once all that is done type /join ukaps to join the channel :)

Any problems let me know :)

18. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

how about building a chat room into the forum like on TFF? what does everybody else think on this?

The IRC London set up, not everyone will want to download it so it may be better having one built into the forum.The 'Gabbly' is good enough, and now it is pinned i'm sure more people will use it.

19. planter

planter Member

Is it pinned ? where? Need a quick link to chat, every time I consider joining chat I have to hunt for the post.

20. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Cheers!