• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IRC Channel

if we had an IRC channel, would we use it??

• yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • no

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I only come here to read, I dont want to talk to you as well!

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Re: IRC Poll

aaronnorth said:
JAmesM said:
I haven't used IRC for years, but I would probably pop in now and then... kids + live chat doesn't always work :lol: :rolleyes:
:lol:

there isnt that many kids on here is there? Only egulars i know is me & lUke and were are old enough ;)

I use IRC all the time really.

aaronnorth said:
JAmesM said:
I haven't used IRC for years, but I would probably pop in now and then... kids + live chat doesn't always work :lol: :rolleyes:
:lol:

there isnt that many kids on here is there? Only egulars i know is me & lUke and were are old enough ;)
I'm on about my kids :p

I can be there happily chatting away one minute, then get called away or distracted and be gone for hours. I got banned from one place for ignoring people :lol: I think I was changing a nappy at the time :lol:

What I don't like about live chat is there is no record of what's been said that could be useful to others, without posting the full log or sorting through it looking for good bits. You'll also get a lot of 'how much do I dose?' and 'why wont my plants grow?' questions which can't be answered properly in a room full of people.

JAmesM said:
What I don't like about live chat is there is no record of what's been said that could be useful to others, without posting the full log or sorting through it looking for good bits. .

I'm inclined to agree with James. I look at quite a lot of old posts so that I can learn. If the discussion is mostly elsewhere that wouldn't happen. I know the existing posts would still be there as a resource but it could end up taking the life out of this forum.

JAmesM said:
You'll also get a lot of 'how much do I dose?' and 'why wont my plants grow?' questions which can't be answered properly in a room full of people.

Not so sure about this though, in fact it's possible that quite the reverse would happen. I could see those who know less and are new to planted tanks being too intimidated to ask in a live chat room so you could loose the newbies.

Sorry not to be more positive

Im thinking that an IRC channel would be more a place to hang out and insult George.. ;)

any serious questions would still be posted as I cant see that many people being on there at any one time. I just think it would add another dimension to the society and maybe create some real friendships :)

UPAKS is now oficially on IRC ;)

download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com or any other IRC script that you prefer.

Then to join the server type: /server irc.starchat.net

server details if needed by other software:
address: irc.starchat.net
ports: 6667-6669,7000

Once on the server you must first register the nickname so that everyone knows its always you and not someone else.
You can chat without registering a nickname but its recommended you registered it.

First change to the nickname you want, by typing /nick nickname ; in my case /nick LondonDragon
If the name is already registered you will receive a warning to identify it, if no message comes up then its yours.

Just type on the text input: /nickserv register youremail@mail.com yourpassword

You must use a valid email address as you will need to activate it and pick a password of your choice to identify your nickname everytime you login to the server. i.e. /nickserver register londondragon@email.com letmein1234

You will then receive an email with a code to active the nickname or it will be deleted in 24 hours. On the email you will see a line with: /msg NickServ ACTIVATE XXXX where XXXX is a number, just copy that line and enter is on the mIRC window.
That will active your nickname, in future when you log in type /nick nickname to change to the nickname you want and then /nickserv identify yourpassword to identify yourself as the user of that nickname.

Once all that is done type /join ukaps to join the channel :)

Any problems let me know :)

Is it pinned ? where? Need a quick link to chat, every time I consider joining chat I have to hunt for the post.

Back