• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

IRC Channel

if we had an IRC channel, would we use it??

• yes

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • no

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I only come here to read, I dont want to talk to you as well!

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Seems I am a lot more stupid than I thought. I got lost just after installing this. Where do I put all these/server blah blahs. Has the program been updated since writing the instructions? It doesn't seem to ask me for things where you say to put them.

Technology seems to have moved on a hell of a lot since I was writing Access 2.0 V+ databases. lol

Andy

Download and Install mIRC from http://www.mirc.com

Once you start mIRC for the first time you will get a pop up screen like the image below:

image3ng1.jpg

Enter a name under "Full Name" and an email address (must have a valid email add in there even if you have to make on up or it won't connect), then put in a nick name you want to use.

After that on the Category list click on Servers, on the IRC Servers list on the right hand side browse for StarChat and then select Random Server and click OK.

image5ka2.jpg

Then click on the connect icon from the menu:

image6pm6.jpg

Once connected to the server a mIRC Favorites window will pop up, just click OK, if you don't want this window to show up in future just remove the tick from "Pop up favourites on connect", or you can edit that list and add #UKAPS to it.

Once on the server you must first register the nickname so that everyone knows its always you and not someone else.
You can chat without registering a nickname but its recommended you registered it.

First change to the nickname you want, by typing /nick nickname ; in my case /nick LondonDragon
If the name is already registered you will receive a warning to identify it, if no message comes up then its yours.

Just type on the text input: /nickserv register youremail@mail.com yourpassword

You must use a valid email address as you will need to activate it and pick a password of your choice to identify your nickname everytime you login to the server. i.e. /nickserver register londondragon@email.com letmein1234

You will then receive an email with a code to active the nickname or it will be deleted in 24 hours. On the email you will see a line with: /msg NickServ ACTIVATE XXXX where XXXX is a number, just copy that line and enter is on the mIRC window.
That will active your nickname, in future when you log in type /nick nickname to change to the nickname you want and then /ns id yourpassword to identify yourself as the user of that nickname.

Once all that is done type /join ukaps to join the channel

That should do it :p

From the website:
Thank you for trying out mIRC. mIRC can be downloaded freely and evaluated for up to 30 days. If after evaluating mIRC you find that you like it and wish to continue using it, you will need to register your copy.

James

JamesC said:
From the website:
Thank you for trying out mIRC. mIRC can be downloaded freely and evaluated for up to 30 days. If after evaluating mIRC you find that you like it and wish to continue using it, you will need to register your copy.
James
There are many other IRC clients out there, the ideal solution would be to incorporate the IRC chat into the board, but I don't think there is a hack yet for version 3, at least none that I could find. There have been a few users on Gabbly though, if people wanna chat is probably a good thing to use Gabbly instead and leave the chat window open while they browse the forum, that way people can see who is online and pop in for a quick chat if they wanted to.

It doesnt matter really what we use :) Gabbly is really convenient and a bit of fun :) IRC is maybe a bit complex for what we want *shrug*

JamesC, maybe we could have a button on the top navigation area pointing to the Gabbly link? I think people would use it quite alot.

Just a thought.

Back