• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iron deficiency with EI

Could Hydrogen Peroxide cause this whitening
Yes, it will kill plants, some seem to die even at quite low doses.

Definitely sounds like you have a CO2 issue, pumping that much in for so little effect in the tank.

Try weighing your CO2 equipment before CO2 on after CO2 off to see how much you are using per day.

I have a set of these and despite stating max is 5Kg, will read my 5.380Kg of an FE with attached regulator.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8426473.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

I measure about 20gr per day in an 180l tank, with yellow drop checker and in line diffuser. You should therefore be 40/180 * 20 -> 4.5gr per day, so 2Kg FE lasting 2000/4 days -> 444 days.

Please help me understand....how can I have a CO2 problem if my drop checker is yellow and my pH drop is 1.2 in an hour and my circulation is more than enough? Why is the CO2 the problem? The effects might be the same of that of low CO2 but surely with the facts a gave above then CO2 is being dissolved in the twater, however I am pumping more than the filter can dissolve and that why is blowing out bubbles but still the dissolved CO2 should be more than enough...right?

The fact that you are having to pump monster amounts of CO2 into such a small tank to get drop checker to change indicates a CO2 issue somewhere.

Maybe the drop checker becomes yellow with less co2...havent tried that...maybe the pH drop of 1 or 0.8 is still sufficient and a drop of 1.2 is too much...right?

Next issue I assume you are using a digital pH meter, not a test kit that as we know can be hopelessly influenced by other things in the tank water ?

I think this may be the issue. You are "burning" the plants with too much light.

Read this, had to run 60% BUT 50cm above water surface not substrate.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/grobeam-1500.26199/

There are other threads about using these at only 20% level as any higher damaged the plants.
Mr Teapot has this light at 40cm and at 100% intensity and it looks good...

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/index.php?threads/27575/

This is from his journal:
Tank height: 30cm. Grobeam 600 was at 50-100% @ about 10cm from surface (dependent on what stage the tank was at. Current tile is at about 40-45cm @ 100%

ok not light level then. Just a thought as quite a few people have vaped their plants with monsterous light levels despite spot in CO2 and EI.

Hehe...looks like I am screwed...light is ok, co2 is ok, circulation is ok...its either nutrients or I burned my plants with h2o2...

I'm not a big proponent of filters as reactors but it does sound as if your CO2 is above 30ppm most the day.
I did not look into your light, though it sounds sufficient.

As far as adding additional iron, at 2-3 x EI, using various types of chelated Fe at the 4:1:1 ratio is a safe move. Is it enough? Maybe not. So, what's next, NO3? Try 15ppm NO3 and 5ppm PO4, twice a week, if that's more. H2O2? Maybe not so much.

Last edited:
Maybe the drop checker becomes yellow with less co2...havent tried that...maybe the pH drop of 1 or 0.8 is still sufficient and a drop of 1.2 is too much...right?
Drop checkers do have a lag time, often an hour or so but the drop in pH your providing sounds excellent, if your sure of your surface water clarity. Adding H2O2 is a little like a drug dependency - find a way to kick it. If it bleached your plants, look for new green growth.

If this all happened after the moss left the room it might still make for an interesting tail.

You can do simple test. Try adding 2xEI or even 3xEI. There shouldnt be any problems with this. And you should really convince yourself about nutrients.

Is it ok to add both macros and micros 5 minutes appart sometimes or do they react together?

Is it ok to add both macros and micros 5 minutes appart sometimes or do they react together?
With your KH what it is, the chelates will have a tendency to break off soon after they are dosed but I don't think it matters. The Fe EDTA in Plantex lasts for 36 hours or so - remaining available to the plants. You might try using more DTPA Fe relative to ETDA Fe but it has more to do with the KH not what day you dose.

I wonder if this might all get better if you backed off on the light but that might be construed as cheating and would only slow down growth on average.

Last edited:
More Nutrients-> its easier for the plant to pick up nutrients and probably no need for so much CO2.
I'm not sure I would agree. More NPK+Fe -> higher uptake of NPK+Fe seems to be correct.
PO4 and CO2 do have a relationship. It may have more to do with increasing efficiency - not what is a needed CO2 level. Something that always helps me is to remember that plant growth will increase in low light when CO2 is provided - the compensation point for light in plants seems to change w/out an increase in PAR. I believe the same is true if you do it the other way around but for us that will only bring heartache.

Last edited:
Back