• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iron

It is indeed a lovely tank. šŸ‘šŸ˜Š

At 700ltrs, considering DIY ferts at some point would help with the bank balance for sure. If you are feeling brave just put a shout out. Lots of folks can help to get you started and itā€™s not as tricky as you might thinkā€¦..honest!

I would say from my own experience of hard water, that even when using EI level ferts and Co2, Iā€™ve never seemed to have the explosive growth that some folks talk about, and Iā€™ve also found that new plants can take a bit longer to get going.

Although in fairness, I find my 700ltrs time consuming enough so less frequent trimming can be a blessing. šŸ˜Š

It is indeed a lovely tank. šŸ‘šŸ˜Š

At 700ltrs, considering DIY ferts at some point would help with the bank balance for sure. If you are feeling brave just put a shout out. Lots of folks can help to get you started and itā€™s not as tricky as you might thinkā€¦..honest!

I would say from my own experience of hard water, that even when using EI level ferts and Co2, Iā€™ve never seemed to have the explosive growth that some folks talk about, and Iā€™ve also found that new plants can take a bit longer to get going.

Although in fairness, I find my 700ltrs time consuming enough so less frequent trimming can be a blessing. šŸ˜Š
Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for your reply, the whole fertiliser thing is all very new to me but I do agree the tnc is going to end up being expensive in the long run so dry ferts will definitely be something I will look into.

I didn't actually realise that plants wouldn't grow quite as quickly in hard water so ive learnt something there lol.

I would really like my stem plants (hydros and bacos) to be hitting the surface to be able to fill out the back but giving me having hard water does this make it harder or is it just a case of allowing more time??

Thanks

Matt

Looking at your pic, I don't notice any clear signs of iron deficiency. Detailed pics would help, though.
I'd like to add that plant species differ a lot in their ability to take up iron in alkaline environment. Hygrophila corymbosa is rather bad at it. Many Cryptocorynes can handle it well, esp. those widely used. Among more demanding plants Ammannias and Alternantheras can handle alkaline water, but I can't swear they'd do well in THAT hard one.
When I say that they can handle it well, it's meant that EDTA or even unchelated iron chloride would do.

Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for your reply, the whole fertiliser thing is all very new to me but I do agree the tnc is going to end up being expensive in the long run so dry ferts will definitely be something I will look into.

I didn't actually realise that plants wouldn't grow quite as quickly in hard water so ive learnt something there lol.

I would really like my stem plants (hydros and bacos) to be hitting the surface to be able to fill out the back but giving me having hard water does this make it harder or is it just a case of allowing more time??

Thanks

Matt

I can only quote my personal experience and unfortunately havenā€™t grown either of those plants since I moved house and acquired liquid rocks to plant in. You may find that given some time they will kick things up a notch.

As Maq says, thereā€™s some variation between species for sure.

I have Rotala Hā€™ra that took a long time to really do anything but can now put on 4ā€ or so on a good week.

Iā€™ve had Cobomba in for at least 6 weeks now and not had a stem hit the surface yet, but they are starting to gain pace.

Polysperma has done well for me (although ironically, Iā€™ve previously grown it quicker in a low light, low tech with softer water šŸ˜‚) and Hottonia palustris was also a fairly rapid grower - 2-3 weeks between trims on a rooted plant and somewhat longer for a planted top to need itā€™s first trim. (Some high techs will be trimming these plants weekly)

Wallichii is my nemesis and I have yet to find any way to get it to grow in my tank, though I know it has been done in hard water, so Iā€™m still obstinately trying (and failing šŸ˜‚) with different methods.

Hands down the fastest and most prolific plant in my tank are my Vallisneria Gigantica which grow 4ft long and have to constantly be thinned. (If I sat still long enough, I reckon I could actually see these growing šŸ˜³) but these are not exactly a stem plant and its no great surprise as they are well known for preferring hard water.

Soā€¦ā€¦sometimes itā€™s just having the patience to let the plants get their toes in and adapt and some plants are always going to be more of a challenge if hard water is not their happy place. (At least until you develop the green fingered wizardry of some of our Uber experienced folks on hereā€¦ā€¦Some of whom could grow tumbleweed in the arctic iā€™m sure šŸ˜‚)

Some additional ferts may or may not help but the plants will let you know soon enough. I would certainly recommend spacing out your dosing (as that should help availability) and to give ur stems a bit more time to see how they do.

I can only quote my personal experience and unfortunately havenā€™t grown either of those plants since I moved house and acquired liquid rocks to plant in. You may find that given some time they will kick things up a notch.

As Maq says, thereā€™s some variation between species for sure.

I have Rotala Hā€™ra that took a long time to really do anything but can now put on 4ā€ or so on a good week.

Iā€™ve had Cobomba in for at least 6 weeks now and not had a stem hit the surface yet, but they are starting to gain pace.

Polysperma has done well for me (although ironically, Iā€™ve previously grown it quicker in a low light, low tech with softer water šŸ˜‚) and Hottonia palustris was also a fairly rapid grower - 2-3 weeks between trims on a rooted plant and somewhat longer for a planted top to need itā€™s first trim. (Some high techs will be trimming these plants weekly)

Wallichii is my nemesis and I have yet to find any way to get it to grow in my tank, though I know it has been done in hard water, so Iā€™m still obstinately trying (and failing šŸ˜‚) with different methods.

Hands down the fastest and most prolific plant in my tank are my Vallisneria Gigantica which grow 4ft long and have to constantly be thinned. (If I sat still long enough, I reckon I could actually see these growing šŸ˜³) but these are not exactly a stem plant and its no great surprise as they are well known for preferring hard water.

Soā€¦ā€¦sometimes itā€™s just having the patience to let the plants get their toes in and adapt and some plants are always going to be more of a challenge if hard water is not their happy place. (At least until you develop the green fingered wizardry of some of our Uber experienced folks on hereā€¦ā€¦Some of whom could grow tumbleweed in the arctic iā€™m sure šŸ˜‚)

Some additional ferts may or may not help but the plants will let you know soon enough. I would certainly recommend spacing out your dosing (as that should help availability) and to give ur stems a bit more time to see how they do.
Great reply thanks again Kirsty,
Funny you should mention vallis, that was one of the first plants in my tank and has been one of the only ones not to grow!! I even removed them a couple of weeks ago as they just started to die off. Everything around them did well but they just didn't move šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

I will definitely spread out the dosing throughout the week and give them plenty of time. I'm sure they will come good eventually.

Thanks again for all your help šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ˜šŸ˜

Funny you should mention vallis, that was one of the first plants in my tank and has been one of the only ones not to grow!! I even removed them a couple of weeks ago as they just started to die off. Everything around them did well but they just didn't move šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

šŸ˜‚ Now isnā€™t that ironic. šŸ˜

I think thatā€™s the thing about all this planted tank lark, itā€™s never one rule fits all.

But hey! Stops us getting bored eh! šŸ˜Š

šŸ˜‚ Now isnā€™t that ironic. šŸ˜

I think thatā€™s the thing about all this planted tank lark, itā€™s never one rule fits all.

But hey! Stops us getting bored eh! šŸ˜Š
Exactly trial and error, keeps us interested and at least the plants aren't super expensive. When I had a reef tank before the cost is just insane!!! You end up spending Ā£40 on a coral and 2 weeks later it dies and you just think what's the point lol

Back