• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is 18c too low?

Kezzab

In an attempt to make life easier i'me going to convert my nano tank from hi-tech to low tech. I'm keen to dispense with the heater as it's quite obtrusive. The only livetstck is likely to be a few cherry shrimp, maybe a couple of otos.

Ambient house temperature is around 18c. Will most of the usual plants survive at this temp, and if so i assume i can expect slower growth.

Any plants to specifically avoid?

Also does anyone run without a filter? If so do you still have a powerhead to provide some circulation?

Thanks

Hi kezzbab, I don't use heaters in any of my tanks, temps vary between 18c and 25c through the seasons, haven't found any of the usual plant species to struggle, little less growth in winter, need a little more co2 when it's warmer, I don't keep any hard to keep livestock so can't offer advice there, I would use a small power head for circulation and gas exchange though.

My tanks run about 20c in the winter and I've not had any luck with otocinclus. Some of that is down to only having a poor supplier but the research I did suggested they need 20-28c. I swapped them for a couple of ancistris as I have the space for them and they are thriving.
Plant growth seems fine but quite a lot of potted plants do have a temperature range on their labels so it's easy to avoid the ones that need higher heat.

I have been keeping otocinclus successfully in a room temperature tank which does vary in temperature depending on the time of year for a couple of years without issue. only have easy plants in this tank, Vallis, H. difformis , Elodea , and Cabomba

Back