• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is copying others aquascape ok?

My personal opinion: of course, much like starting with painting or drawing you usually start of with learning and copying from others. It becomes a bit different when you start entering competitions with it or making money off these designs, but many beautiful scapes were heavily inspired by others.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... ;)
:thumbup:

I think that's why this forum exists in a way, to share our knowledge so that others may learn and copy. It's democratic!!

I copy little bits from basically everywhere to create my stuff so it ends up not quite like any of the copied work, and then can just claim "inspiration". Keeps it fresh to mix them up! Or maybe it's cos I can't quite achieve the fanciness of the people I copy. 😅 But certainly no harm in copying one specific thing either, both ways you learn and develop and enjoy.

It's a good way to learn. Even relatively faithful copies will be somewhat different anyway due to personal interpretation and due to the uniqueness of natural materials like rock and wood.
The main styles are fairly formulaic anyway but there is always room to put your own stamp on design. Copying provides a good starting or reference point, go with it and see where it takes you. But above all else enjoy the journey.

Back