• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it enough velocity guys?

MikeJojo

As per title, please share your comments from your experience.

It is usually said that streams suppose to reach front glass. With my APS 1400 in Juwel Rio 125 don't think it is achievable but I'm trying to play with size of holes in spray bar to achieve best. I took some more stuff from my filter today as well. I have left only one tray of ceramic tubes and one tray of these black plastic balls.

Here is a video.

Mike

looks like if you angle the spray bar up a bit you will easy do it :)

But spray bar should be horizontal right? No cheating here :) Ideally it suppose to have enough velocity to reach front glass right?

well mine are angled up a bit i think its common practice and i must say from the vid you have a good flow lol :) and if you angle them it will reach the glass dont see how its a cheat :thumbup:

I have an APS 1400 in the same tank (125) and the flow is much weaker than yours in that video.

Sacha, do you have any success in growing nice algae free plants aquarium in that set up?

Yes I do. But I also run the 1000 lph internal pump alongside the APS.

You'll see from my other thread that I am getting rid of my APS for a better filter. Their lph is just pathetic IMO.

[DOUBLEPOST=1406709793][/DOUBLEPOST]
No.

Cheers,

Clive, it just means all my trouble with size of holes to get good flow was useless and I just need to get new, more powerful filter right?

Do you have any in mind that would make it? It's for Juwel 125.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
Yes I do. But I also run the 1000 lph internal pump alongside the APS.

You'll see from my other thread that I am getting rid of my APS for a better filter. Their lph is just pathetic IMO.

What pump do you use? Koralia 900 would be enough? And what filter are you buying now?

Mike

Sorry you went through all the trouble mate. Check ebay for a used Fluval FX5. Legendary pumping power, and since it' has such high flow you might even use a reducer in the line to use your existing spraybar and still have plenty of flow, or use 25mm PVC to match the hose and just load the filter down with lots of media to reduce the throughput if it's too much for the fish.

Check this one out=> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUVAL-FX...8?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item43ccf8ab44

It's still early (4 days left) don't bid now, wait until there is 30 seconds left till the end of the auction then bid. Ignore all that stuff about marine use. I think there's a couple pieces missing, but no big deal.

Cheers,

Thanks Clive.

I'm just searching for options and FX5 was one of them. On other hand do you think adding koralia along with my APS 1400 would make it? I would go back to single outflow pipe instead of spray bar then and install koralia just behind it, so they would work together on the flow. Koralia would be another piece of equipment in the tank but it's much cheaper option. I'll probably be moving out in November so do not want spend extra money until then. If Koralia would be good choice, what size do you recommend?

Mike

Hi Mike,
There are a few different combinations to supplement flow. You can use two or more of the nano 900s or just use one of the larger 900s. Again, when you look at the prices new for these you ought to compare it to what that fleabay used FX5 will cost you. If you can get the powerhead(s) used cheaply enough then that would be good.

Cheers,

Clive, thank you for tips. FX5 is still out of my range for now. Do you have any other brand/ model in mind as good or near to FX5? I was thinking of adding Koralia Nano 1600. It's for £27.90 brand new on Amazon. What do you think?

Thanks

I don't mean to pirate the thread but I am having a similar issue on my 120x60cm tank and wondered if anyone else is using an Eheim compact 3000 to circulate through a spraybar? I have tried various combinations of holes but can't get the spray to reach the front glass. Smaller holes give lower velocities?? Is this a function of the impeller not being able to overcome the resistance caused by the smaller holes. I bought this for the quoted output but is there something i am missing?
Cheers
John

Back