• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it possible to grow Blyxa Japonica under low light with liquid co2?

Ajm200

Hi,

Has anyone been able to successfully grow Blyxa Japonica in a low light setup? I know some of you have grown 'difficult' plants such as carpet plants under lower light.

I currently have 2 x 54w T5 and a 3ft (temporary) single T5 running on a 5 x 2 x 2ft tank.
I use easycarbo and powdered ferts

Thanks

I have some, i bought it already submersed grown, did put it temperarely in a small low light low tech unheated propagator tank just floating around and did very well for over 6 weeks. Now it's 1 foot deep in the substrate with a roottab in an other relative low light tank without co2 and had some melting kicking in, but also see new growth comming. Looks like it's slowly finding it's way in the substrate. But still to early to say... It's definitively a very slow grower in these conditions. It stands next to the Pogostemon stellatus another notorious high tech plant actualy doing beter and growing faster.

It's 1 month now..
DSCF5572 (Kopie).JPG

:)

Wonderfull tank.. :clap: very pretty Blyxa.. Funny, the guy i bought it from, grows them high tech in sand and where much smaller than yours.. :rolleyes: Btw Nicpapa is that Lomariopsis sp next to the blyxa??

Hi
Can be grown in lower light situations....but the important part is providing a decent substrate like Colombo Flora base to do really well......it loves soft substrate!
A little extra phosphate sometimes gets it to flower if the plant is in good health!
Blyxa can be grown in other inert substrates although the growth will be slower and smaller!

Blyxa grown in Colombo Flora Base....under a Kessil led light!
upload_2016-1-7_9-51-3.png

Cheers
hoggie

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a go next time I get plants for the tank. I want to try it at the front if the tank. I'll let you know how I get on

I grew some very successfully in a low tech, low light tank. I used Tropica soil from Pets at Home, capped with gravel. The Blyxa did nothing for about 4 months and then suddenly went mental. Great plant, thinking about adding some to my current high tech tank. Makes good cover for baby fish etc

Thanks Wombat, so there still is hope for mine.. :D At the time it looks like hybernating.. So i wait a few months before i pull it out.. :thumbup:

Wonderfull tank.. :clap: very pretty Blyxa.. Funny, the guy i bought it from, grows them high tech in sand and where much smaller than yours.. :rolleyes: Btw Nicpapa is that Lomariopsis sp next to the blyxa??
Nitrate limitation leads to stunting to some extent. Also more coloration and can trigger flowering. In a nutrient poor soil like sand, I bet there is little making up for the limitation so the plant is stunted and small. I've also seen it stunt under really high light like 200 PAR.

I agree with ShawnMac
It really needs a decent aquatic plant substrate to get it to flourish....its not too bothered about water hardness!
Co2 brings also brings out the best in this plant!
As per photo above!
hoggie

Back