• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it safe?

Is it safe?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

seedoubleyou

Is my tank safe to use? I personally would think no, but I’m interested to hear what others would do.

Yesterday I moved home, and whilst doing so, I moved my tank and cabinet.
The tank was sat on the living room rug and whilst carrying the cabinet, my brother in law managed to walk backwards and inadvertently fall into it.

This caused the cabinet to be dropped hard enough to knock the bracing off it and smash some stuff inside.

The tank seems fine with no viable cracks, but he hit it pretty hard.

Could I trust this tank to hold water again? It’s a 230L so it’s pretty heavy when full and that’s a lot of water to try and mop up if it goes wrong.

Cheers,
Chris.

The brace is actually fine and the cabinet is solid. I can’t see any damage that would otherwise tell me it can’t be used.

My logic was that now it has been dropped and the tank fallen in to, would the structural integrity be compromised. Like if you was to drop a crash helmet, you’re supposed to replace it.

I may try filling and leaving outside, but how long can you genuinely leave it before you assume it’s safe to use?

Sorry I know I’m probably being really pedantic here.

how long can you genuinely leave it before you assume it’s safe to use?

I would have thought a leak would show itself fairly quickly. The silicone seals on tanks are surprisingly robust, so I imagine you are probably fine, but better to be safe than sorry - as you say, its a lot of water and potentially a damaged flooring.

If you can't see any damage then you are probably fine. As Wookii mentions the silicon is very robust so you only really need to be worried about any damage you can't see, and a quick fill in the garden will show this.

For glass tanks you normally only get a problem if you whack them on the corner or the end of the glass panels, which tends to chip them. It's a little worrying the brace came off and I'd make sure that was fitted back before you fill and monitor to see if it bows at all.

When we fitted a shop out we had lots of 8x2ft tanks delivered and most came staked on top of each other with 2x4 wood between (think 3 high was the most) and a few where on their end panes with the 8ft vertical. These were in a lorry and you can imagine the bumping and stresses inflicted on them during the journey. Glass is pretty robust.

The brace is actually fine and the cabinet is solid. I can’t see any damage that would otherwise tell me it can’t be used.

My logic was that now it has been dropped and the tank fallen in to, would the structural integrity be compromised. Like if you was to drop a crash helmet, you’re supposed to replace it.

I may try filling and leaving outside, but how long can you genuinely leave it before you assume it’s safe to use?

Sorry I know I’m probably being really pedantic here.
Like previous members said, silicone on glass forms a very strong and flexible bond. Try to separate two siliconed glass panes. Nearly impossible.
I'd leave it for 24 hours.

Really appreciate everyone’s response. I will fill it up outside and leave it for a few days.

I can even add some further support to the tank to help secure its structural integrity.

Thanks again,
Chris.

It's not quite the same thing, but I did have some trepidation filling my tank (300L) after it had sat unfilled in the corner of the lounge for 25 years! Almost a year in now, and nothing leaking 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Back