• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it worth growing Glossostigma from seed?

Zante

I'm seeing these ads on ebay for 8k+ seeds of Glossostigma, and I'm thinking of plants for the shrimp tank I'm going to set up. I've just about prepared the mix of soil to use as a substrate, so I haven't gotten very far yet.

So, is it worth sowing the glosso rather than planting it?

The tank has a base of 2x1 feet and the 8k seeds are on sale for about £10.

There are similar ads for hemianthus for a similar price.

I can tell you with 99% certainty that those aren't Glossostigma and most likely not even a aquatic plant

Thank you, I think I'll go for buying the plants as usual.

Since the tank is being set up, and there won't be any animals for quite some time (i want the very well established before the shrimps try and pull them up), is it worth growing them emersed and slowly rise the water once they've filled out or shall I just plant them as usual?

I'm using 1/3 sand, 1/3 moss peat, 1/3 potting soil with a capping of fine black gravel.
Lights are 2x16w LED lights about 1 foot above the aquarium and the tank is 1x2 feet base and just over a foot tall.

If you buy seeds, only buy them from reputable sources or from other hobbyist who grow the plants and colelct seeds themselfs. 90% from the commercial rare or uncommon plant seed offers on Ebay are a scam. Especialy if it so cheap that it seems to good to be true. E.g i tried and won a bidding whit $ 1.50 on an offer of 120 Drosera peltata carnivorous plant seeds.. And now i have a bunch of seedlings growing from which i have no idea what they realy are but they aren't even carnivorous plants. Now $1.50 isn't lot to loose, so i thought maybe i'm lucky.. But for the seller able to pull this scam off a 100 times, it's quite a few dinners and laughs urned. And when times goes by and the seeds germinate and big enough to determine that you got scammed, the sellers deleted his account and goes on with an other name. So there ain't much to go in despute with.

I'm a victim of those magic seeds (S type) but at least it was a cheap lesson. I still have the plants though. They're fast growers and help keep algae away from my shrimp tank. And they provide lots of multi level fun for the shrimps.

In the end I decided to get a vial of those £1 seeds.
For £1 I'm curious to see what comes out.

As for the glosso, I'll just buy a couple of pots of plants.

If there are lots of seeds in the packet, you could sow some of them emersed, as they could be anything. If they are not Glosso they might be something else worth having.

I got into an argument with a local reseller the other day. He advertised as carpet seeds followed by the prices and weight. Period. I made a joke about waiting a few months to see what they'll become. He said they were carpet seeds. I said he should have told the sellers what they were getting. He got defensive so I got on the offensive and said he's either an idiot for not knowing what they were or a cheat if he did. Then I cooled down and told him it's to his own benefit to tell people what they were, IF he knew.

They're not altogether useless. For folks who want a quick carpet in a temporary tank, why not? They'll grow faster and nicer than any HC, MC or glosso in that few months that the tank's there.

Back