• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my flow rate too low? Should I add a pump?

Nont

I'm planning on setting up a new 60P size tank and already bought the SUNSUN HW-603b (400l/h flow). After joining UKAPS, I realized that this flowrate is too low for the planted tank and that I need a pump or powerhead, any recommendations?

Hope you have better luck with your HW-603 than we did !
Ours was sold under a different name here in the UK and it would leak at the slightest of touches, should have returned it ! but as it was only in use for a tank change over never got around to it.
Do check yours out carefully and test it well in tank before adding any plants or fish etc.

For extra water movement consider one of these little in tank surface skimmers, they do just that keeping the surface clean but also have a useful flowrate.
We use this type which has a little pad of floss that acts as the filter and is very easy to change , also very quiet. Eheim also do one, thats been mentioned in the forum many times.

000960.jpg

it would leak at the slightest of touches, should have returned it ! but as it was only in use for a tank change over never got around to it.
I have 2 and one of them leaked couple of times on its lid, I managed to fixed it with electrical tape and plumbers tape.

Do you know how big the ‘cage’ thingy is? I don’t want it to suck small fish in.

Do you know how big the ‘cage’ thingy is? I don’t want it to suck small fish in.
Its 40mm x 35mm and the slots are 2mm wide, so very little will get through, even if the did they would be saved by the floss filter.
Only have a smallish tank with small fish and never had any problem with fish getting in there.

When I started this hobby as a kid, long time ago flow rate was zero=0! Those days no filtration, no algae, no ferts. Just two light bulbs, the other always broken.
Some fish died, some didn't.

I'm planning on setting up a new 60P size tank and already bought the SUNSUN HW-603b (400l/h flow). After joining UKAPS, I realized that this flowrate is too low for the planted tank and that I need a pump or powerhead, any recommendations?
Hi @Natthanon I would say for a 60L tank that SUNSUN canister should be OK. Depending on your plant mass, or if your injecting CO2, if you lack flow you can add a small power head such as the small and very affordable Pat mini 400l/h which can be regulated and its shrimp safe as well (sponge needs frequent cleaning though). I have two of those in each of my 150L densely planted tanks running full blast in addition to regular filtration.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
USB pumps are so cheap (I get mine for US$3.50 a piece from China sellers) I feel there is really is no harm getting one and trying it out :)
Furthermore it accepts variable DC input between 3.5v - 9v. At the usual 5v, it uses 1w and is probably pumping only 100l/hr, a nice gentle flow.
Its so small its also easily hidden from view.

In my high tech tank, I have one at the back corner of the tank, at substrate level, which I think is the area of "weakest" flow.
In my low tech tank which is too small for a separate skimmer, I'm using the pump as a "skimmer" in that sufficient surface agitation is enough to remove the surface film

USB pumps are so cheap (I get mine for US$3.50 a piece from China sellers) I feel there is really is no harm getting one and trying it out :)
Hi @erwin123 Could you post a link to one of those pumps?
at substrate level, which I think is the area of "weakest" flow.
Yep! The substrate level.... I think that is often the issue as plants grows dense... certainly was in my case.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi @erwin123 Could you post a link to one of those pumps?

Yep! The substrate level.... I think that is often the issue as plants grows dense... certainly was in my case.

Cheers,
Michael

here you go:

Cheers guys.
I’ll probably going to go with the sunsun skimmer or the mini pump.
You only need x10 flow if you add CO2, if you are low tech you can get by with much less turn-over.
Are 2 (x5 flowrate) filter consider a x10 flow? Wouldn’t too much flow stresses fish around?

Have a similar external filter and skimmer in our similar sized tank and the real world flow is always less than the manufacturers flow ratings, so am sure you will not end up with too much .
You should be aiming for some visible movement from the plants , though you will always get quieter areas of flow.

Where our skimmer flow hits the glass the fish can often be seen deliberately swimming in that stronger flow, feel sure its just for their fun.

Back