• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my Glosso doing okay? and a plant ID if I may!

durtydurty

Have set up my 55 Gal tank, and planted some glosso about a month ago and it seems to be doing well.

Have noticed over the last few days since introducing pressurised Co2 that its starting to leave the bottom and get taller, is this what is meant by it getting "leggy" ?

DSCF1458.jpg

Any ideas on what the plant in the far back corner is? It corkscrews and does have a kind of flower that breaks the surface with pollen on it.

DSCF1453.jpg

Excuse the bubbles, it was after a water change.

are you dosing ferts? your glosso looks a little off colour.
what kind of lighting do you have? leggy growth can be an indication of not enough light for a plants needs.

Im afraid I dont have a clue what that other plant is! Looks nice tho!

The glosso looks fine in it's growth pattern. I'll leave the colour comments to those with good colour vision!!! If it starts growing straight up then you might have an issue with not enough light but the runners all seem to be going along the sand.

The other plant is Aponogeton ulvaceous, or a hybrid of that and similar species.

Colour wise, Im guessing its to pale? Lighting wise I am running what I bought with the tank second hand.

Essentailly it looks like two tubes, one called power grow or flora grow @ 40Watts and an Arcadia one that doesnt actualy tell you the power.

Im am thinking arcadia over tank luminaire thingy when I can afford it.

Also that is the plant. Its great, Bit of an impulse buy but it is really really nice plant. Thanks!

durtydurty said:
Colour wise, Im guessing its to pale? Lighting wise I am running what I bought with the tank second hand.

Essentailly it looks like two tubes, one called power grow or flora grow @ 40Watts and an Arcadia one that doesnt actualy tell you the power.

Im am thinking arcadia over tank luminaire thingy when I can afford it.

Also that is the plant. Its great, Bit of an impulse buy but it is really really nice plant. Thanks!

thats probably why the Glosso is trying to get higher, thats not alot of light over 55gallons. Glosso is quite light/co2/nutrient hungry.

Are you dosing ferts in any way? Dont forget, its useless adding co2 unless your adding nutrients as well :)

Am dosing TPN+ and my drop checker is a light green, the tank is fishless cycling at the mo so am running it very high on the Co2 front.

I had a sneaky suspicion that the hood set up/light wasnt upto much. Am away over the weekend but will sort it out next week.

What would you recommend buld/power wise for the size of tank?

remember guys, your looking at a photo! colour rendition might be way out. you take a 1 pictiure with 2 different cameras you get 2 different colour tones. dont allways trust what you see. :D

saintly said:
remember guys, your looking at a photo! colour rendition might be way out. you take a 1 pictiure with 2 different cameras you get 2 different colour tones. dont allways trust what you see. :D

this is very true :)

but after that long under co2 and that little growth Id have to worry.. Glosso is a total brute, it grows like weed and is hard to control under good conditions.

14 days growth...
2633981075_dfc7cb1c3e.jpg

The Co2 was only swapped over form my other tank at the weekend, so its only had that for a week now.

Will keep an eye on it and more than likely upgrade the lighting next week.

Always found Acardia bulbs to be the best.

durtydurty said:
The Co2 was only swapped over form my other tank at the weekend, so its only had that for a week now.

That woukd have been an optical illusion. Arcadia bulbs grow plants no better than any other bulb. You need to add more CO2 before thinking about adding more light.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
durtydurty said:

That woukd have been an optical illusion. Arcadia bulbs grow plants no better than any other bulb. You need to add more CO2 before thinking about adding more light.

Cheers,

absolutely.. and dont forget ferts..

durtydurty said:
Just to recap. I am dosing with TPN+ and my drop checker is a light green so am I not doing what I should be doing?

I have a new light which I pick up next week, chck the link out. I bought it unexpectedly, as in I didnt think to get it so cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=007

Would this be suitable for my needs?

Yes, that's fine but how much TPN+ are you dosing? No one can say how much of it should be added because everyone's tap water is different so if you are just following the bottle directions you could easily be underdosing. A green dropchecker is a good indication but it does not guarantee success because that will depend on your filtration and flow distribution. All carpet plants are strict about CO2 and the tank is never homogeneous.. I believe you also stated that at the time of the photo CO2 had only been in the tank for a week. This might help explain the slow, leggy growth.

Increased lighting has the effect of increasing the nutrient demand as well as increasing the CO2 demand so adding the luminary you mentioned will mean less margin for error in dosing and CO2 application.

Cheers,

tpn+ isnt enough on its own.. if you add more light, youll just make things worse. The plants dont have enough to eat. tpn+ is brilliant for low tech, non-co2 tanks.. but for the highish tech tank youre trying to do, it wont cut the mustard.

Matt,
TPN+ is an all in one and can in fact be used on it's own quite successfully but you just have to use a lot of it to ensure high enough nutrient levels. The required dosing levels are a function of the tap water nutrient levels of course. ;)

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Matt,
TPN+ is an all in one and can in fact be used on it's own quite successfully but you just have to use a lot of it to ensure high enough nutrient levels. The required dosing levels are a function of the tap water nutrient levels of course. ;)

Cheers,

yes.. but when your adding co2 and high light.. youd have to add more of it than seems to remain stable. As youve often said, NH4 and all sorts of other things go into tpn+. Whenever Ive tried to swap to it Ive had enormous problems, as have a few others it seems. I stand by the fact that if your going to do a high tech tank, you cant half do it.. you need to go full PMDD.

Well, again, it depends on a lot of factors. Its hard to argue with Georges success because he and some others use it exclusively. I think I recall JamesC stating that the nitrogen content of TPN+ was a combination of a nitrate and guanidine which is formed by a chemical reaction of ammonia and other components. It's not clear to me what reactions take place when this compound dissolves in water but it may not directly add NH4 in the water column. Check James's Urea dosing thread. This is why I am hesitant to unilaterally write off TPN+ so easily. I do agree about the cost issue though, no doubt.

Cheers,

I agree with Georges cases, but he does run fairly low light when hes using it.. and he is a master! He also uses purigen which may negate some of the more negative elements held in TPN+.

I think for those of us mortals in the hobby, who arent maybe as vigilant as George is on maintenance, TPN+ 100% on high tech is a bridge too far. In addition, as you already said, at least dry salts make it possible to tailor your dosing to your tap water.. for me, Im loaded with NO3 (over 40ppm), so this is handy to keep things under control.

Back