• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my Pygmy Cory pregnant or ill?

FrozenShivers

Hello, is my Pygmy Cory pregnant or ill? She's much fatter now and all the other fish in the tank are as they should be. Is the colouration on her belly any indicator? Thanks...

This one doesnt look so good.. theyre not supposed to get this wide even if they have a lot of eggs inside.
With the redness on the belly it makes me think of infection and a possible cause of swelling would be dropsy.
Dropsy presents a bit differently in corydoras as they have armor plates rather than scales, so you wont see the traditional pineconing.

I hope your little one pulls through, but I would be mentally preparing myself for it not to if I were you 😥

This one doesnt look so good.. theyre not supposed to get this wide even if they have a lot of eggs inside.
With the redness on the belly it makes me think of infection and a possible cause of swelling would be dropsy.
Dropsy presents a bit differently in corydoras as they have armor plates rather than scales, so you wont see the traditional pineconing.

I hope your little one pulls through, but I would be mentally preparing myself for it not to if I were you 😥

Thank you for the response…damn that’s not good, anything I should do or just wait it out and see if she recovers? :(

anything I should do or just wait it out and see if she recovers? :(
In the video the fish looks pretty perky, so you could just monitor the situation for a bit and see if it gets better or worse.
If it starts to get lethargic or like its not having a nice time any more is when I would consider humane euthanasia.

In the video the fish looks pretty perky, so you could just monitor the situation for a bit and see if it gets better or worse.
If it starts to get lethargic or like its not having a nice time any more is when I would consider humane euthanasia.

Thank you, sadly she was more lethargic today compared to then..I’m going to buy some clove oil :(

Im sad to hear that, but thank you for doing the right thing by her, it can be difficult even if it is a mercy in the total picture

I got Clove Oil straight after work, knocked her out and have just given her a lethal dose...will check on her over the next 10 minutes to make sure that she is deceased. I have to say putting her down makes me feel a bit sick. But as you say this is preferred than dying slowly in pain.

Back