• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is my sand (over substrate) too thick for a Dwarf Hairgrass carpet?

macleod92

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice. I've decided to try and get a carpet of DHG (Eleocharis acicularis Mini) going in my 46L tank.
I have an approximately 1 cm layer of Tropic Substrate nutrition underneath a a layer of Unipac Aquarium Silica Sand. The layer of sand ranges from about 5cm at the front to about 9cm at the back.
From what I've read, DHG should do alright in sand but as a root feeder needs a nutrient rich substrate. I'm just wondering if I've made my sand too thick for the DHG to be able to actually reach the nutrients?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6513 (002).jpg
    IMG_6513 (002).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,330
Probably will be too deep to reach the soil below, it's quite a shallow rooter. However, so long as you water column dose fertz it'll be fine in just sand alone.
Here's a one I grew earlier, in sand alone...:)

10575948724_b70ab7536d_b-jpg.jpg

Btw, no such thing as a stupid question ;)

Quick follow up question.

From what I’ve read DHG doesn’t do very well in the shade. I’ve got a fluvial edge 46 L tank so even light around the edges isn’t the best to start with.

I’ve also got a big piece of wood in the tank which results in a little bit of shade underneath it (picture attached)

Do you think the hair grass will be able to grow under the wood or will it struggle?

Attachments

• 5E706042-1785-4590-B175-80E4ECAE00AC.jpeg
    5E706042-1785-4590-B175-80E4ECAE00AC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 473
Back