• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Purigen safe?

interested to read your comments about not seeing diatoms when setting up a new tank with purigen , Ian. any negative impacts with EI dosing , ie removing nutrients that you dont want it to ?

It has an affinity to organic waste and leaves inorganic stuff alone, so it doesn't impact on EI dosing or any other dosing. Saying that, you can't 100% rely o it and must keep on top of the water changes (in a high tech tank).

Careful Purigen is also rendered unusable and un-rechargable by some dechlorinators that include slime coats. Surprise surprise Seachem Prime is OK, but I have a feeling Tetra Aquasafe, of which I have a cupboard full (500ml bottles bought on various 2 for price of one offers) is not.:(

Careful Purigen is also rendered unusable and un-rechargable by some dechlorinators that include slime coats. Surprise surprise Seachem Prime is OK, but I have a feeling Tetra Aquasafe, of which I have a cupboard full (500ml bottles bought on various 2 for price of one offers) is not.:(

Aquasafe is not good, but the majority of the dechlorinators will work.

Yes mate,
The dosing is tiny in comparison to other brands in ml.

I think the other brands 'slime coat' block the tiny holes in the purigen and stops you being able to recharge it, as the bleach cannot dissolve the slime.

How do you add this Mate? I is there an amount u add every water change for instance?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
just 5ml to treat 200L of water . this stuff was a godsend when i was running a 100ukg discus tank and doing 3x50% waterchanges weekly . its as easy as drain the desired amount of water from your tank , then just add dechlorinator straight to the tank ( dosage based on whole tank volume , not amount of water changed ) , and re-fill the tank . 1 250ml bottle would treat the entire volume of my 100g tank 22 times over ;)

Hey guys,

Just received my 'bag' from aquaessentials ( very good service & only £2.99 postage, which in this time is cheap compared to Others who charge a minimum of £8).

5umyze4y.jpg

Mesh is very fine but feels very robust; (excuse dirty fingers, I've been refurbishing a hand plane today!)

ge7a3uga.jpg

Zip lock clip:

te9yvusy.jpg

With 200ml of fresh purigen added:
a7ytura3.jpg

(Notice it looks like its been snowing :lol: )

Working on this, I imagine a bag to take between 800ml and 1L if required.

Hope this helps guys :)

and switch to Seachem :thumbup:

Nath that bag comes with 200ml of purigen?
They sell 100ml sealed for £10 and I noticed 'the bag' also or £10, me being simple again I guess though?

Hi Nath thanks for that info much appreciated. Ive never used this stuff before, so could someone answer a question I have please. I see that 100ml is supplied bagged. Does this mean it comes in a mesh bag for use in a filter?

Yeah I believe it's ready to rock & roll!
I've just orders 100ml bagged from aqua essentials :)

Back