• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Süßwassertang Lomariopsis lineata?

zozo

I did this before in 2017 with similar results a few years back. But I unintentionally destroyed it by mistake before it became conclusive.

Then I did the same experiment again, :) put Süßwassertang in a closed pot with a transparent lid and some clay-based peat soil and put it away in a light spot and wait and wait and wait. It also contains a number of Microsorum sp.
IMG_20210530_151628163.jpg

Haven't looked in it for at least 6 months, but I planted this pot over 2 years ago... And today I see what I've seen before, a young tiny plantlet resembling a fern. And it definitively doesn't resemble your Microsorum.

It's this little baby... :) And it resembles in grow form from my first failing experiment.
IMG_20210530_151454798.jpg

Now I will be much more careful with it and make sure it ain't destroyed again. It still could be simple contamination and no Lomaropsis sp. For now, it is what it is and I hope it will grow and finally reveal its species. But since it is so similar to my first experiment I have high hopes... The mystery might be solved... :woot:

Another nice observation is seeing a java fern develop fluffy brow roots from its rhizome. I've never seen this before, not even on emerged forms from the LFS or terrarium shops.
IMG_20210530_151410357.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_151251326.jpg
    IMG_20210530_151251326.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 173
Excellent, really glad you managed to recreate the experiment. I was really excited to see how it would have progressed, and just as excited now. Well done Marcel 👍

Excellent, really glad you managed to recreate the experiment.

Thanks, Tim!... :) But managing is the one thing I didn't do... It is more like chuck it in a container with some proper soil. And manage to stay away, don't touch it, and let it be. The only maintenance I did was put a few drops of water in every few months. And it took about 4 years for this little plantlet to appear. And I may be opened this canister 5 or 6 times in this period. I guess that's why it failed the first time, I got excited and wanted to manage something made a mistake and it died.

What's also remarkable is all the baby Microsorums iI planted in it back then never really grew very much bigger... One would expect a plant to outgrow the container but it doesn't. Does it really seem that plants adapt to closed environments and adapt their size accordingly? And how do they register this?

Last edited:
It's steadily growing... And the 2nd stem has formed a leaf as well
82[1].jpg

Looking at its base (Red Arrows) it really looks like it is developing from some kind of gametophyte...

:woot:

But!? In the red circle is a very young Microsorum leaf... :shifty:
17[1].jpg

Last edited:
# months into the process and still none the wiser what it could be... It barely grew, maybe a few millimetres or so? Thus it definitively ain't much of a grower. To keep my hopes up high I guess if it were local contamination it would have grown a lot faster than this?

All I know is it originally contains Java Fern, Liverwoths and some other moss and Lomariopsis cf lineata. On some peat-based clay soil.
All I did put in there came directly from the aquatic forms I took from the aquarium. Overtime (Years) it all transitioned to what it is in this pot.

IMG_20210831_152928515.jpg

IMG_20210831_15292.jpg

Referring back to pics from the previous and failed experiment in 2017 I definitively see the resemblance in leaf shape. Then again if contamination it would be very much a coincidence to have the same one?
dscf9405-jpg.109860

And this container only contained Lomariopsis cf lineata afaik.
dscf9421-jpg.109868

The plot thickens...

This as a mature specimen and it kinda looks promising too, regarding the growing form, it looks as if the young leaf from the above is ready to split into 3 fingers.
lomariopsislineata1-jpg.135836

????:nailbiting::peeking:

And again months later still not growing very much... :)
IMG_20220219_150624829 (Middel).jpg

And it actually lost a leaf, but 1 is still alive... Never have seen such a small plant that refuses to grow in about 1 year time...
IMG_20220219_150705885 (Middel).jpg

It's in here among the others, now I wonder how long it was there even smaller without me noticing it. Because i planted this pot a few years back with scraps from the aquarium.
IMG_20220219_150751776 (Middel).jpg

Back