• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there a best time to add fertiliser?

Mcchopper

The plants in my new ADA 90 scape are growing well, and as it stands right now I auto dose every day with 12 ml Evolution Aqua Plant Food delivered at 20:30. Not sure why I chose 20:30, must have read something when setting up my first aquascape 9 months ago.
I have CO2 starting 2 hours before ‘lights on’ and run a Live Aqua 900 light at 90% for 6 hours with 30 min ramp up and 30 ramp down (just like a sunrise and a sunset).
The tank i feel is established and I am about to move from 50% water change every 3 or 4 days to 50% every 7 days.
Is there a correct time To give the plants their food.

Last edited:
I think there is some differing opinions on this but, I like to feed 15-30min before the lights come on so the fert mixes into the water column thoroughly right before the plants wake up and increase their demand. Some nutrients have a short half-life in the water column so, feeding at night close to lights out, when their demand is low, doesn't seem ideal.

I am far from an expert though so, I would wait for opinions from the more experienced before deciding 👍.

Some Iron Chelates are photosensitive and ideally best dosed outside the photoperiod to avoid accelerated precipitation one would assume... personally I never paid attention to it - except for making sure my trace blend is stored in a dark place.

Cheers,
Michael

Some Iron Chelates are photosensitive and ideally best dosed outside the photoperiod to avoid accelerated precipitation one would assume... personally I never paid attention to it - except for making sure my trace blend is stored in a dark place.

Cheers,
Michael
yes, there is that too. Like you I keep my ferts in a dark place.

I used to dose mine in the morning, but eventually got plant deficiencies. Because my water has a high PH (degassed) I now dose just as lights come on, as this means that my PH has dropped due to the CO2 injection, and that the chelates in my fertiliser dont break down as much, and my plants get the iron they need etc. So I think it may depend on how high your PH is (my PH degassed is around 8, and 7 when lights are on). You may not have this problem...... then I think the main thing is consistency :)

Appears as though the consensus is morning dose… which reading the very informative replies above now makes perfect sense. Thank you to everyone who offered their thoughts:)

Back