• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there a biotope tank thread?

Surya

I have always been interested in biotope tanks and have decided to do it seriously now. I have a shortlist of Amazonian rivers that my existing stock would mostly fit into. I would be really interested to see what others have done. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated!

Probabaly easier to have a different threasd tag for biotope in journals, then if enough interest a new section could be created?

There already is quite some discussion about what is a diorama and what is a nature scape and many times it is questioned what's called a Dutch scape and what's not. I guess it only complicates the matter to add a biotope scape or tank or whatever.

It will raise an extra question and discussion when is what a biotope?

IMHO a blackwater tank with for example no plants and only some wood and leaf litter and a bunch a fish is more like a diorama of a sectional snapshot in a tiny footprint of something far greater that is left out. Such as marginal plant growth and the jungle behind it for example. And that what all is left out actually makes the biotope possible, without it it could not exist. :)

Then what is it, a biotope or a look-alike?

And then in the true sense of the word, any healthy tank has it's own biotope as a natural functioning whole.

You could take a look at Events threads were you find Biotope Aquarium Design Contest 2018 for ideas. Forum member Nelson has a Biotope possibly in journals @Steve Buce good idea a dedicated Biotope section

I think a dedicated section for naturalistic/wild style aquaria would be a good idea. I'm cautious of using definite and traditionally applied labels for the reasons that @zozo cites - as soon as you use the label 'Biotope', you anticipate some adherence to specific geographical species of plants and animals, likewise as soon as you use the term 'Blackwater' you expect to see exactly that - tannin stained water. I really think UKAPS should come up with their own broader term and definition. Whilst a specific aquarist might choose to set themselves those defining targets like a Biotope, I don't think UKAPS should be that rigid, and many aquarists in reality might choose some middle ground.

Despite that though, for me there is a clear differentiation between those tanks that focus on growing aquatic plants as a relatively well maintained underwater garden, and those that try to resemble an actual habitat you might see if you donned a snorkel and dived in a river or lake. Take two examples:

One of my favourite scapes on this forum by @Tim Harrison:

48161889791_c36691ab93_b-jpg.jpg

And then an image from Toms Poco Pozo tank, as linked to by @Conort2 above:

gkn3rk-jpg.jpg

Both aquaria are stunning and beautiful, but both clearly have differing objectives as to what they are trying to recreate and a user of this forum trying to access information on how to recreate the latter, might not find what they need by looking into the former, and visa-versa. So having different forums areas might make that easier to achieve. I know from personal experience, like the OP, trying to hunt down naturailstic/wild style layouts in the journals section is time consuming.

You will always get a number of tanks that likely bridge the different types, but then it's up to the user as to which section they prefer to post their aquarium into.

Last edited:
I guess what could indeed be very helpful for those who like it is, have the ability to give a newly created journal a style tag. :)
Then if yu think you created a Biotope style tank then give the journal a "Biotope" Tag. :) And so on for diorama, nature style, dutch style, blackwater, paludarium, riparium etc... I actually have no idea how many styles exist other than the ones I mentioned.

Just an idea to maybe simplify things without having different separate journal sections for each possible style out there. Having separate sections per style would be quite a lot of work for the staff to build and maintain... Keeping all under one roof also makes people, not into this specific style still see it.

I have no idea if this idea is a functional possibility in the forum software. We have to look at Paulo @LondonDragon for that.

At the other hand, every user/member is free to mention the style in the topic title... I guess this doesn't happen that much because most people actually don't really know what style they actually created. Looking at myself I never do know it and still struggle to determine what is what. IMHO all tanks actually are Dioramas (Looking Games) regardless the so-called style...

Last edited:
I guess what could indeed be very helpful for those who like it is, have the ability to give a newly created journal a style tag. :)
Then if yu think you created a Biotope style tank then give the journal a "Biotope" Tag. :) And so on for diorama, nature style, dutch style, blackwater, paludarium, riparium etc... I actually have no idea how many styles exist other than the ones I mentioned.

Just an idea to maybe simplify things without having different separate journal sections for each possible style out there. Having separate sections per style would be quite a lot of work for the staff to build and maintain... Keeping all under one roof also makes people, not into this specific style still see it.

I have no idea if this idea is a functional possibility in the forum software. We have to look at Paulo @LondonDragon for that.

At the other hand, every user is free to mention the style in the topic title... I guess this doesn't happen that much because most people actually don't really know what style they actually created. Looking at myself I never do know it and still struggle to determine what is what. IMHO all tanks actually are Dioramas (Looking Games) regardless the so-called style...

Good idea for the journals section - it must be feasible as it exists in the classifieds section. As long as users can abstain - I can imagine some folks might not want to pigeonhole their creations. I also maintain using the word 'Biotope' would be a mistake.

It could probably do with a dedicated section elsewhere on the forum though - after all we already have a Ponds section, and a Wabi-Kusa section?

after all we already have a Ponds section

Indeed, but where does it end, because in it are Wildlife ponds, Koi Ponds, Goldfish Ponds, Patio Ponds, Heated subtropical ponds, etc.

And there indeed is Wabi Kusa the best example you could point to. Because this is a rather indefinable or rather say untranslatable term outside the lifestyle it's practised. And scrolling through the thread I see things I can not define and it could be anything but as bellow.

Wabi Kusa,
Nd9GcR4sLoLmWLjuJzeyomOcuSS8pNQWQ88lGiphQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Kokedama,
Nd9GcTlBhCOSs-_xL78haP-JE5UwgqzLu3_W2T9rA&usqp=CAU.jpg

kusamono
th_fern_and_strawberry%2C_side_view%2C_4_July_2009.jpg

Then and when is what? The one who knows must rather be an expert... If you aren't than what name to give?

It is what it is, then don't argue with the label...

Thanks all, some really helpful thoughts. I must confess this was an "am I missing a biotope section?" question and not "you really should create a new biotope section" iyswim ;)

I guess I use "biotope" as a catch-all for a themed tank that tries to replicate a natural environment, in as loose or strict a sense as the owner chooses to define. The post above comparing the beautiful underwater garden with the equally stunning Poco Pozo illustrates exactly what I mean.

I have long wanted to replicate a natural environment but have been put off as I know it won't be as "pretty" as my random collection of lush, colourful plants from every continent that exists nowhere in the natural world...! But I've decided to stop caring what random guests think and go for twigs and leaf litter and that ilk.

Thanks all, some really helpful thoughts. I must confess this was an "am I missing a biotope section?" question and not "you really should create a new biotope section" iyswim ;)

I guess I use "biotope" as a catch-all for a themed tank that tries to replicate a natural environment, in as loose or strict a sense as the owner chooses to define. The post above comparing the beautiful underwater garden with the equally stunning Poco Pozo illustrates exactly what I mean.

I have long wanted to replicate a natural environment but have been put off as I know it won't be as "pretty" as my random collection of lush, colourful plants from every continent that exists nowhere in the natural world...! But I've decided to stop caring what random guests think and go for twigs and leaf litter and that ilk.
You can still make twigs and leaves look good. There are some good examples around on the internet and this forum.

What fish are you planning on keeping in this set up?

cheers

Conor

I have a big group of neons (30) and a big group of corydoras trilineatus (20), plus 5 otos (almost 3 years old!). 240l tank. There seem to be a few rivers where these co exist. I initially had somewhere along the Rio Ucayali in mind, but am open to suggestions! Was hoping to find more ideas like this:

Last edited:

I think structured leaf litter can look really good. If you look through some of the Biotope tanks in the BADC entries as @PARAGUAY suggests, there are some superb examples:

BIOTOPE AQUARIUM DESIGN CONTEST 2020 • Biotope Aquarium

EDIT: Our posts crossed - I see you are already well on with the research :thumbup:

I have a big group of neons (30) and a big group of corydoras trilineatus (20), plus 5 otos (almost 3 years old!). 240l tank. There seem to be a few rivers where these co exist. I initially had somewhere along the Rio Ucayali in mind, but am open to suggestions! Was hoping to find more ideas like this:

Sounds good, Should be something that is easy enough to recreate and will look great. The neons popping against the leaves and wood will really stand out.

cheers

Hi all,
You could have a look through <"the articles"> on Norwegian Apistogramma fan TomC's web site. This is <"The hunt for the true Apistogramma cruzi ( A83 ).">

cheers Darrel

Ooh thank you so much for all the suggestions! They are so helpful. I am working my way through them all. I love the dedication to furthering knowledge coming through in many of these eg TomC's apisto adventure, the Ivan Mikolji footage, and the attention to detail in the biotope aquaria entries. It's all a long way from the Biorb and plastic plants I thought fishkeeping was about when I started...

Back