• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there a peat free aqua soil?

Peethe

Hi there,
I’m looking at starting up a new low tech tank and I’m wondering is there such a thing as a peat free aqua soil?
I’ve used topsoil and pond compost before but fancied trying one of the off the shelf products this time.
Thanks 👍

Most aquasoils contain peat, which reduces KH and buffers pH down (to between 6-7)

is there a reason you want to avoid ones with peat? An option is you really want to avoid them is to use an inert substrate with root tabs / supplement the water column.

Hi Toby,
Thanks for the reply, the reason is that peat extraction is an environmental disaster and I’d like to avoid adding to that.
Another reason is in Edinburgh our tap water doesn’t really need buffering down.
I might stick with the tried and tested topsoil with gravel over the top then.
Cheers

Back in the old days there was something similar to ADA power sand, but it was simple baked clay enriched with?? that you put underneath your gravel. It worked pretty well as far as I recall, but these were the 'before-CO2-days' and I cant seem to find it anymore. That could be a peat free alternative if you could find it?

Now you ask I'm not sure as far as the UK is concerned. I did have some compost with a "contains peat from sustainable sources" label but this might also have been outlawed in this country.
Anyway, you could try this, it's advertised as being 100% peat free...

May I ask what should peat-free soil contain?

Thinking about it if you dissect aquatic soils that contain peat you usually end up with percentages of something like Coarse sand, clay and peat.
Then if you leave out the peat you and up with sand and clay, to make this less compacted, at least next to the buffering capacity that is the peats main property loosening the soil. you could add Coconut fibre instead. And also this has some buffering capacities and releases tannins to the water similar to peat.

As a matter of fact, afaik all coco fibre sold as a growing medium is pre-soaked in seawater for a period to be fully buffered with magnesium. This is because it has a magnesium buffering capacity.

Just get Clay and Sand and Coco coir and mix your own... :)

that is the peats main property loosening the soil.
That's very true, without peat or some sort of alternative organic matter, once mineralisation has occurred, loam based aquatic soils have tendency to end up very cloddy, pretty much clay like sediment.

Diana Walstad has used potting compost which contains spent mushroom compost so I guess you could add some of that. Although it'll undoubtedly contain some peat it's already been mined and used once, so no harm done in terms of the waste hierarchy at least.

Canna coco fibre isn’t salt loaded

I didn't say that... :) It seems untreated Coco fibre buffers loads of magnesium... Then if you use untreated Coco fibre as a growing medium for plants it will deplete magnesium from the fertilizer solution till it's satureted.

But i guess nowadays it's hard to find any coco coir that ain't pre buffered. In the early days >30 years ago I know it was prebuffered with soaking it a period in seawater. And it was advised to ask for buffered coco coir if you intend to use it as a growing medium.

At least that is what I was told... :)

Even tho both are salts when we add it...

:)

I wouldn’t use buffered coco fibre in an aquatic environment with very soft water it will swap ions very quickly, in moderately hard water I would use it as a substrate as the rate of change between the water column and substrate will be much lower.

This test I performed with Vicat Prompt cement shows how freely the unbuffered coco fibre allowed ions released from the curing hydraulic cement to flow into unbuffered water than compared to using fine gravel as infill. Surface area of the fibre is massive so huge capacity for holding ions if the conditions allow it.

:)

Interesting conversation l remember Geoff Hamilton very ahead of his time against use of peat and no time for " sustainable source". It had to be said he grew everything with coir. Interestingly a lot of critics were pro all chemical use for gardeners.
I bought some multi purpose from a small garden centre this year in very small print could hardly see it said contained peat from sustainable source. Do we trust this. ?Obviously made by one of the big manafacturers with the garden centre name on.l suspect many of the supermarket brands contain coir

There is such a thing as peat from sustainable sources, moss peat that can accumulate around 60 times faster than it is harvested.
Hi Tim, I’ve never heard of that, do you have a source or a link to this?

Hi Tim, I’ve never heard of that, do you have a source or a link to this?
Most of the examples I've come across concern the Canadian Sphagnum peat moss industry. I think the main point is, it's not just unsustainable harvesting or mining over centuries that has seen the demise of peatlands but also land drainage for agriculture, and urban sprawl. In the past many wetlands were lost because they were considered wastelands and the complex interaction of goods and services they provide were poorly understood.

Understandably, those that remain have become a precious environmental resource especially in the UK and Europe. However in Canada, for example, peat harvesting on an industrial scale can be sustainable if the landscape is managed appropriately.

The IPS is a wealth of easily accessible info. I was taught by Prof Jack Riley, Vice President.

Back