• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there an 'ideal' substrate depth?

40-50mm is about minium or 35mm at the front and 75 at the back might be a guid line but there is no real ‘one’ answer as most plants would probably prefer much more depth than we normally offer and people also use the substrate for appearance and or as part of the overall design.
Then you have tank size, a big tank might look better with a deeper substrate ?
Then perhaps you could say an Amazon Sword might require a lot more depth than a tiny foreground plant?
So if you have 300lt tank with large rooting plants 75 -100mm or if you have 60l tank with carpet plants 25mm would work.

As alluded to above. There’s no one size fits answer here. It all depends on what you’re planting. And what substrate you’re using.

Just going off using an aqua soil like tropica. A good 1.5-2 inches at the front for small foreground plants right up to as far as you’re comfortable at the back but ideally I’d say 10cm is minimum for stem plants.

Especially in a larger tank like yours where you could stick larger fish that like to uproot stuff. Giving plants a deep substrate to anchor unit would be ideal.

That’s not too say plants can’t be planted into a thinner layer of substrate. Because I’m sure they can. And I’m sure like myself, people on here have.
The above is purely trying to help in your circumstance.

If I could change anything on my tanks, I would add more substrate next time. I think 15% minimum of the height of the tank is about right.

Back