• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is there an idiots guide to photgraphing Tanks?

As a total photography novice it would be nice to have a few good rules of thumb when snapping tanks. I'm just getting my tank back into shape and would like to keep a photographic record of the different stages and how any changes I make affect the look of the tank.

Any suggestions appreciated, do mention them even if it seems obvious to you :)

another tip...
leave the tank lights on.
keep everything in the room as black as possible.

what digital cameras do you guys use, i cant afford a DSLR, but i hear some of the sony digi cams are good.

What camera do you have?
The best I have at the moment is my wifes 12mp Samsung digital, not ideal I guess but I'll give it a try and see what results I get.

@ flygja, nice article thats the type of thing I'm looking for cheers. I will post up some results and see what you all think 8)

flygja said:
Here's a link that I recommend. You don't hafta go the whole way with the black cloth and all, if your room is dark enough, the effect is about the same.

http://www.my-mac.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4744
Nice one Flygja - I really like that link. I thought the consensus on UKAPS was that cropping an image doesn't count as (illegal) post-production, for ADA comps? If so, does the shuttering around the tank need to be so extensive?

+1 for the comment 'if your room is dark enough'. There's a snap in my journal where I left the Xmas tree lights on, creating white 'freckles' all over the tank...

There aren't any solid rules to the ADA contest with regards to photography. As far as I know, some basic stuff like cropping, sharpness, contrast/brightness adjustments are permitted. The whole bordering up the tank thing just shows you the complete way of doing it, you can skip some steps if you wish.

I see you have a company camera, your options are limited with those but you can still product great photos if you spend a little time experimenting with the aperture and shutter speed settings. I think the key is to get as much as light as you can over the top of the tank when photographing, i.e. extra temporary ight fixtures, strobes/flashes, etc.

Good luck in your photography!

ADA rules state

Digital Camera data
Please use 4.0 mega pixels or higher resolution digital camera, SLR digital camera and take a photograph with high resolution mode.
Please save the image in JPEG or TIFF format in CD-R.
Do not make any image processing such as trimming or retouch.

http://en.iaplc.com/about/application.html

Nick16 said:
ADA rules state

Digital Camera data
Please use 4.0 mega pixels or higher resolution digital camera, SLR digital camera and take a photograph with high resolution mode.
Please save the image in JPEG or TIFF format in CD-R.
Do not make any image processing such as trimming or retouch.

http://en.iaplc.com/about/application.html

You may get a point deduction only. Just like the other rules like "just unpublished work can enter to the competition.." found many tanks form other competitions last time.

I find it hard to believe that people submit un-retouched photos for the IAPLC. Though I did hear before that ADA will retouch it themselves before posting on the website or printing them in the contest book. Can't confirm that though.

Back