• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this a proper cycling method for a reef aquarium?

I don't think there is one specific, proper method for setting up and cycling a reef so don't over-analyze looking for a magic bullet. :) I have tried a lot over my 15 years in the saltwater reef hobby and very few things were truly wrong, they just all had consequences.

The method outlined in that link is one way to hit the goals that that person set. The main topic covered is the live rock and that method is one of the 'middle' options of the four that I can think of:
1. Buy ocean-direct live rock and put it directly into the display tank, keeping all organisms good or bad
2. Buy ocean-direct live rock but wash, quarantine, and 'cure' it separate from the display (outlined in that link)
3. Buy dead/dry rock but wash, quarantine, and 'cure' it separate from the display
4. Buy dead/dry rock and put it directly into the display

Each of those has pros and cons so figure out what your goals are and start working backwards from there.

The reason I'm asking is because last time I set up a reef tank with live rock (that was 4 years ago, when live rock was still available in the market), it didn't go well. I rushed it and it got ugly real quick.

When I was about to set up my planted tank, I also did some research on how to cycle it. I decided to do a fish-less cycle following the Dark Start method. The tank cycled in 6 weeks but I extended the process 6 more weeks. Then I added as many plants as possible and a light (40% for 6 hours). It's been 4 months since I started it and I've never had any algae issues. I don't even clean the glass. The tank is far from mature and it lacks biodiversity. I don't know if I'm going to have any issues in the future, but so far so good.

Then I thought, there should be a similar method to cycle a reef tank. It didn't make sense to me to just add live rock and once cycled, add fish and corals. Yes, the live rock would help cycle the tank in a couple of weeks, but the system would not be balanced, or mature enough. We all know nuisance algae is opportunistic. There are other organisms in nature to keep it in check. Since we're trying to create a mini ecosystem, shouldn't we duplicate nature? In FW tanks, plants take up all nutrients so algae can't thrive. In SW/reef tanks, bacteria, microorganisms, macro algae, coralline algae and a CUC prevent nuisance algae from taking over the system. It takes time for all the above to get established in an aquarium though. Even the guys from BRStv are recommending a 4 month cycle (WWC method I think). Maybe I'm wrong. A biologist would be able to shed some light. I'm not an expert, that's why I'm asking you guys who are more experienced than me.

Cheers!

edit: (was going to give my method but I advise the below)
If you have the patience, cure whatever rock you wish to use in RO water for a number weeks, once it’s done scape your tank.
Then go for a fishless cycle again using bacteria and bottled ammonia, give this a few weeks, then add one tester coral, see how it reacts, then just go for it.

I’ve used other far quicker methods with ill effect, but I’m impatient and would always recommend a slower approach.

Nothing good happens fast !!

Last edited:
I’ll also add, corals do not need to be in a cycled tank you could in theory add them straight away, the reason people don’t is because new tanks are often unstable.
More corals does give more stability in my experience and in the experience of other hobbyist I’ve spoken too.
(I’m not recommending adding coral straight away if you’re new to it)

I’ll also admit, I’ve never cured rock, although I do advise doing so, I never have.

Overall if I could really bang on about one thing it’s what @MartyK said; decide what your goal is with this tank, right from fish selection to coral stocking, read, read, and read some more. Find a tank that really captures you and then find out how that person achieved that result and try to emulate it in your own.
There’s so much conflicting advice out there and you can soon find yourself in a deep rabbit hole.

Cycle the tank in whichever way works best for you but just take your time through every process. Plan each step right from the cycling process to what livestock will go in first, then what coral you want and then how you will replenish elements via dosing (there are many way).
Enjoy the process and try to just keep it simple.

Overall if I could really bang on about one thing it’s what @MartyK said; decide what your goal is with this tank, right from fish selection to coral stocking, read, read, and read some more. Find a tank that really captures you and then find out how that person achieved that result and try to emulate it in your own.
There’s so much conflicting advice out there and you can soon find yourself in a deep rabbit hole.

Cycle the tank in whichever way works best for you but just take your time through every process. Plan each step right from the cycling process to what livestock will go in first, then what coral you want and then how you will replenish elements via dosing (there are many way).
Enjoy the process and try to just keep it simple.
I want to keep it simple and let nature take its course. A tank and a sump with filter media, a refugium, heaters and a protein skimmer. I don't want to deal with all that complicated stuff like controllers, reactors, algae turf scrubbers, roller filters, etc. THAT is a rabbit hole! The first hurdle is finding some decent live rock I guess.

As for the live stock, I haven't decided yet. I have plenty of time to think about it. This is a long term project!

Cheers!

I think you’ll struggle to come across any decent live rock if I’m honest mate. It’s just too rare.
I’d just go with a dry rock and try adding diversity to you tank over time.

I think you’ll struggle to come across any decent live rock if I’m honest mate. It’s just too rare.
I’d just go with a dry rock and try adding diversity to you tank over time.
That's nearly impossible. Live rock contains thousands of different bacteria species. Bottled bacteria is only a tiny fraction of it. But you're right. I will struggle to find any decent piece of live rock.
Hi all,

I've never kept a marine tank of any description, but I would <"definitely want some plants">, either in an algal turf scrubber or in the refugium or some Mangroves.

cheers Darrel
Maybe you should set up one!
My first SW tank had chaetomorpha in the refugium. There are SW tanks stocked with only macro algae, like caulepra, gracillaria, halymenia, etc. Is that tempting? 😈

maxresdefault.jpeg

Hi all,
Maybe you should set up one!
Too much like hard work, I always take the path of least resistance, and I'm pretty mean with my money as well. If I lived on the western fringe of the UK, and could use pyo sea water (I know all sorts of things will grow from this) I might be tempted.

cheers Darrel

I’m about to set up a nano marine tank too - 32L. I’m doing it inspired by tigahboy’s setups, and using what works for me in my freshwater lowtech nanos and seeing if the principles work similarly in saltwater. It’ll be in front of a window so gets good natural light, my freshwater bowl thrives there. I really love the macro algae look luckily, not into the blue coral-heavy vibe which will hopefully make it easier!

My plan is to add sand, an old bit of decorative dead coral as my main hardscape, liverock “rubble” from my LFS, the filter, heater & water all together, and do a dark start for about 3 weeks. Maybe will try to get a small piece of liverock from a local reefkeeper. Maybe will add a bottle of bacteria too. Then 3 weeks later, I’ll add the light, a mangrove propule, and a good selection/density of macroalgae. I might also add a nice zoa rock, I’ve read those are good for established bacterial colonies and they look quite nice.

When the ugly stage starts, add a selection of pods, a few snails, brittle stars & a hermit crab. Still not sure if I will add any fish, if I do they’ll be tiny and not for a few months. Some sort of tiny tiny goby. I’ll design the tank with them in mind though so if I go get something it will be happy. For me this tank is all about learning the principles so I can make a bigger one smartly later on!

Last edited:
That's nearly impossible. Live rock contains thousands of different bacteria species. Bottled bacteria is only a tiny fraction of it. But you're right. I will struggle to find any decent piece of live rock.
I just meant in a sense of adding copepod’s, phyto, bristle stars, maybe sourcing some rock and sand from an established tank, maybe adding water from an established tank.

Hi all,

Too much like hard work, I always take the path of least resistance, and I'm pretty mean with my money as well. If I lived on the western fringe of the UK, and could use pyo sea water (I know all sorts of things will grow from this) I might be tempted.

cheers Darrel

One of my hobbies (started during lockdown) is collecting (and reading) old aquarium books, what you're describing is how the rich did it for centuries. I go out to sea once a month fishing, maybe I should start to collect a couple of 30L barrels and start my own DIY marine tank. I quite like how beadlet anenomes look, and they don't seem too difficult to keep.

Maybe one day.

I’m about to set up a nano marine tank too - 32L. I’m doing it inspired by tigahboy’s setups, and using what works for me in my freshwater lowtech nanos and seeing if the principles work similarly in saltwater. It’ll be in front of a window so gets good natural light, my freshwater bowl thrives there. I really love the macro algae look luckily, not into the blue coral-heavy vibe which should make it easier hopefully!

My plan is to add sand, an old bit of decorative dead coral as my main hardscape, liverock “rubble” from my LFS, the filter, heater & water all together, and do a dark start for about 3 weeks. Maybe will try to get a small piece of liverock from a local reefkeeper. Maybe will add a bottle of bacteria too. Then 3 weeks later, I’ll add the light, a mangrove propule, and a good selection/density of macroalgae. I might also add a nice zoa rock, I’ve read those are good for established bacterial colonies and they look quite nice.

When the ugly stage starts, add a selection of pods, a few snails, brittle stars & a hermit crab. Still not sure if I will add any fish, if I do they’ll be tiny and not for a few months. Some sort of tiny tiny goby. I’ll design the tank with them in mind though so if I go get something it will be happy. For me this tank is all about learning the principles so I can make a bigger one smartly later on!
Sounds like a plan! There are so many different ways to start a FW or SW aquarium. For SW, a piece of live rock helps a lot. Doesn't have to be too big. A SW tank filled with macro algae is more or less similar to a FW heavily planted tank I guess.

I'm still learning, but I won't go more than the 70l I'm setting up. My previous SW tank was 120 l and it was a PITA to maintain it. I respect all those hobbyists (FW and SW) who are successfully keeping 200, 300, 400... litre tanks.

Sounds like finding live rock is more of a challenge in the UK? My number one source here in the US is usually fellow marine aquarium hobbyists then some local stores then the online sources. You don't need a lot, especially for a 70L nano, and I always prefer to get a piece from multiple sources rather than multiple pieces from one source.

The other big thing to remember and one I think you've already picked up on and experienced is that nothing good happens quickly with a marine tank. I try to avoid adding coral before the 3 month mark and absolutely will not add sensitive LPS or SPS coral until 6 months. Play it slow and don't be afraid to get something running with minimal equipment and inhabitants while you collect various stuff including microfauna sources, algaes, etc.

Sounds like finding live rock is more of a challenge in the UK? My number one source here in the US is usually fellow marine aquarium hobbyists then some local stores then the online sources. You don't need a lot, especially for a 70L nano, and I always prefer to get a piece from multiple sources rather than multiple pieces from one source.

The other big thing to remember and one I think you've already picked up on and experienced is that nothing good happens quickly with a marine tank. I try to avoid adding coral before the 3 month mark and absolutely will not add sensitive LPS or SPS coral until 6 months. Play it slow and don't be afraid to get something running with minimal equipment and inhabitants while you collect various stuff including microfauna sources, algaes, etc.
Yes, I think it is a bit of a challenge if you're looking for "clean" rock. In my case, I think I'm going to need 8-10 kilos in total.
2-3 kilos of live rock would be enough to seed it. The rest will be probably manmade. I have my reservations though, as I've read that it's leaching phosphates.

Yes, I think it is a bit of a challenge if you're looking for "clean" rock. In my case, I think I'm going to need 8-10 kilos in total.
2-3 kilos of live rock would be enough to seed it. The rest will be probably manmade. I have my reservations though, as I've read that it's leaching phosphates.
That’s why we cure it. (Unless it’s genuine live rock).
Don’t get hung up on using a certain amount of rock in relation to volume of water either, that’s old school mentality.
Buy as much or as little amount of rock as it takes to build a scale you’re happy with, it can be as minimal as you like.

Back