• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this algae?

Raws69

Hi

just noticed this, don’t think it’s staghorn as not dark in colour. Just on the moss on the right which is not really doing much.

Tank specifications - EA freshwater 900, been up and running since Oct. C02 been stable since Nov.
Lighting - Twinstar 900s. 7hr at 95%, with dimming 30mins before and after.
CO2 - inline
Filtration - OASE 600t.
Fertilisation routine - tnc complete 30ml daily

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
Could be Spirogyra!

Spirogyra
spirogyra1-thumb.jpg
spirogyra2-thumb.jpg
DescriptionFine strands of green algae sometimes very long in length. Slimy to the touch. Under a microscope the chloroplasts are aligned in a spiral - hence the name.
CauseOften appears a couple of weeks after a disturbance that causes a spike in ammonia. This can be anything from a disturbance of the substrate to a dead fish gone unnoticed. Likes high light levels and high nutrient levels.
RemovalOnce it has appeared it can be very hard to clear as it thrives in the same conditions as plants. Pick out as much as possible and do a three day blackout with CO2 turned off and doing large daily water changes. Dose back with macros after the water change. Afterwards I found normal dosing Excel also helped, you could use EasyCarbo or TNC Carbon also. Rosy barbs will eat it if made hungry. Also try reducing the lighting.
Another method to try is to try lean dosing at around 1/4 to 1/8 Estimative Index levels for a few weeks. I had good success doing this.

Cheers for the replies, sounds and looks like Spirogyra. If I understand the remedy correctly I can just take out the rock it’s on and keep this in a bucket of tank water and cover it for a few days? Will the other plants be ok in a 3 day blackout?

Hi

started the 3 day black, assume I can still feed the fish, also do I still use fert the tank I use tnc complete daily?

Back