• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this an ok BPM to start with??

Behold

I have a 500L tank and i have set it up with 45 BPM to start with. is this too high or too low?

Im running a solinoid ad i have set it about 1 hour before i get home so i can see how it is an hour or so later. If Blue then ill up it a few BPM and then im off out for a hour and will see what its like on my return

Thanks

aptsys said:
Depending on your diffuser/reactor it's probably on the low side. For 500l I'd expect 2bps or more, but of course fine tune slowly using your drop checker.

Ill Run it as is, then up when im at home tomorrow then if i see no/little change (likely) to about 2 bubbles per second.

As to my diffuser im trialing something and if it works will Highly recomend it. but it may not work.

Thanks.

how do you measure how many BPM? as surely you cannot count them? is it down to the scales on the regs?

Nick16 said:
how do you measure how many BPM? as surely you cannot count them? is it down to the scales on the regs?

You do count them. there is a counter that sits inline. I will be posting up a few pics soon as its one area still not pictorially explained.

Should get them up later today.

Not pictorially explained really because we try to veer people away from bps and more toward DCs. Reason being people seem to be looking for a recommended bps and there isn't one.

One bubble from Brand X bubble counter may equal 3 bubbles in Brand Y etc.

Therefore it is always suggested to start at 1bps and then from there the user should move up or down accordingly.

As a note on my 125Ltr with huge plantmass but low light I am at about 2bps to reach 25-30ppm lime green.

In summary - BPS is a guide for the tank owner/runner. If the bubble count is different to normal then you can tell something different is going on, however 2bps for you may be useless for someone else!!!

;)

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Not pictorially explained really because we try to veer people away from bps and more toward DCs. Reason being people seem to be looking for a recommended bps and there isn't one.

One bubble from Brand X bubble counter may equal 3 bubbles in Brand Y etc.

Therefore it is always suggested to start at 1bps and then from there the user should move up or down accordingly.

As a note on my 125Ltr with huge plantmass but low light I am at about 2bps to reach 25-30ppm lime green.

In summary - BPS is a guide for the tank owner/runner. If the bubble count is different to normal then you can tell something different is going on, however 2bps for you may be useless for someone else!!!

;)

AC

Completely agree but you still need to read the BPS, as to increase it you need to know by how much you are doing it.

In answer to nick's question yes you can count the BPS. and its just a matter of counting fast. Although setting up a bubble counter is not too hard it does make more sense once you see it.

Back