• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this BBA?

Bonobo

674F182F-3846-4902-8201-40FD13629D9B.jpeg
I’m fairly new to Aquascaping, this tank is about 4 months old, and this black stuff has popped up quite quickly, I need to identify it and start treating it asap, all advice welcome.

Hi @Bonobo
This looks like some unusually dark colored cyanobacteria to me, based on that it has formed those slimy sheets.
Yes, I agree with @Hufsa . If it was BBA (Audouinella), it would be brush-like. The cyanobacteria that grows in freshwater tanks is typically blue-green in colour. But, I am led to believe that other colours are possible. So, I'll investigate further.

JPC

The cyanobacteria that grows in freshwater tanks is typically blue-green in colour. But, I am led to believe that other colours are possible. So, I'll investigate further.
Hi Everyone,

It should come as no surprise that the grey-coloured cyanobacterial slime shown in post #1 is cyanobacteria that has reacted with hydrogen sulphide. For more details, please take a look at the following:

I guess that the bubbles in post #1 are most likely hydrogen sulphide bubbles. If that's the case, then a 'bad eggs' odour should be evident. Yes/No?

JPC

Last edited:
You can get rid of it easily by siphoning it out. You can also spot dose H2O2 or do a full tank treatment. Neither will eliminate the cause. I fought it for years in one of my tanks. Never won that battle.

If hydrogen sulfide gas is bubbling up from your substrate you should address that as well.

Thanks, what the best approach to treat it?
I havent personally struggled with cyanobacteria or similar types of slime algae, but the advice I have seen offered most often is to increase flow over your substrate and to make sure your tank gets a balanced fertilizer, with an emphasis on not letting nitrate bottom out to zero

...with an emphasis on not letting nitrate bottom out to zero.
Aquarists have known for several years that there is a link between low nitrate and Cyano growth. But, nitrate seems to be just one piece of the jigsaw puzzle. Phosphate is also important. And, finally, iron. If the Nitrogen to Phosphorus ratio is maintained at around 13* : 1 (molar) and 0.1 Fe DTPA, I am informed that the Cyano will disappear. I am very grateful to @Happi for having kindly shared this valuable information and given me permission to share it with others. Thank you, @Happi.

* 23 : 1 by weight

JPC

Last edited:
Hi @_Maq_

I was wondering if you'd care to let us have your input on the correlation between nitrogen, phosphorus and iron on the growth of cyanobacteria in freshwater tanks.

Thanks in advance.

JPC

Aquarists have known for several years that there is a link between low nitrate and Cyano growth. But, nitrate seems to be just one piece of the jigsaw puzzle. Phosphate is also important. And, finally, iron. If the Nitrogen to Phosphorus ratio is maintained at around 13 : 1 and 0.1 Fe DTPA, I am informed that the Cyano will disappear. I am very grateful to @Happi for having kindly shared this valuable information and given me permission to share it with others. Thank you, @Happi.

JPC
Has he informed you, a recipe to induce Cyanobacteria? I may try such a recipe to see if I can induce it. I have never really had cyano in my tank. I think it’s be interesting to do in the future.

@jaypeecee , unfortunately, there's not much I can say about cyanobacteria. Just some hints.
I think it depends on pure luck on many occasions. I've got the impression that embryos of cyanobacteria are not that omnipresent. But once you get them, you can easily inadvertently spread them from one tank to another.
I can confirm that low-tech low-nutrient tanks can suffer cyanobacteria. Increasing nitrogen sometimes works, other times not. Lowering pH to 5.0-5.5 is often effective. H2O2 is effective, but only in concentrations which kill or damage many plants as well.
Sorry, not much to say. I fear cyanobacteria, they are a strong opponent.

Hi Folks,

Some of you may be interested in reading the following:

Please refer to paragraph 3.3.3.

Good luck!

Time for a break now.

JPC

Back