• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is This CO2 Bottle At All Suitable?

Buggy

Is this CO2 bottle from BWS at all suitable? I am expecting to use a CO2art SE but I am completely unsure as to what kind of fittings the different bottles and regulators use. A lot of it is going over my head; although I may have hit a wall given how much research I've put in to this aquarium. CO2art give two options for the fittings, and BWS make mention of their fittings being the same as BOC, Air Products, and Air liquid; which mean nothing to me.

I feel as though I need to be caressed through the world of CO2 as it's the very last thing I need to source before I can turn my attention to acquiring plants.

It depends upon the thread. It needs to match the thread on your regulator and be of a high enough quality that it does not leak.
"The thread is made according to UK, Europe, Japan and Taiwan standard (BS341 / DIN477 / W21.8) or CGA320 for North America."

Yep. It's just the not knowing whether the two are compatible. And if not, are there connectors available to marry the two together that wouldn't encourage leaking.
Before looking into CO2 I had assumed that it would be available in fish shops, which the more I learn seems rather naïve. Or at least in terms of refillables.

I had several leaking connectors in the past, so I don't generally use them I'm afraid.
If the company do not state that it is compatible on their website, then you could contact them and ask.

Have you considered buying a fire extinguisher.
I have, and did. I ended up, in the wee small hours and after a lot of looking at welding and paintballing websites, order a refurbed fire extinguisher. From what I can see, £33 for 5kg doesn't seem so bad. But I'm certainly open to using something else further down the line.

If it's sold in the UK then you can expect a UK standard (DIN477 / W21.8) but contacting BWS to confirm would be the wisest thing to do so not to waste your time.

Screenshot_20220420-204505_Chrome.jpg

I think it would probably fit according to the above details.

That's new. It was definitely not there yesterday. Maybe they are reading the forum and updating the page accordingly? 😂
Ha, nice. I spoke to them and asked about it. They then contacted the makers of the bottles who confirmed that they're compatible, so I guess this then prompted them to update their page.
I've contacted the makers of the bottles to confirm, I'll probably here back later today.

Back