• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this fish poorly

jimi

Hi all,

I don’t want to say what I think is happening as I don’t want to sway anyone’s opinion but at first glance does this fish look ill?

We have put him in QT as he has a pop eye, just one and he lost some colour along his blue streak however that seems to have come back.

we don’t want to put him back in the other grand just in case he is poorly but we don’t want to keep him in there without reason.

could you help anyone?

thanks
James

B5CEC9DA-2585-4EE0-8B8D-9F6F14BBBE94.jpeg

Attachments

• C7F46103-7E96-413B-9BAF-43255F633111.jpeg
    C7F46103-7E96-413B-9BAF-43255F633111.jpeg
    871.1 KB · Views: 88
I take it that's a just fed belly? If it's just one eye it could be damage rather than disease.

Pop eye is never a good sign - even if it’s a single eye that has been damaged (it’s not unusual for one eye to appear more affected) the swelling indicates inflammation and (usually) bacterial infection - depending on the type of bacteria and general state of health of the fish, it may be more/less infectious

There are parasite based eye infections that will also cause eye swelling but it looks quite different than bacterial pop eye (much more common)

I’d continue to keep this fish isolated as any immune weakened fish tends to “shed” elevated levels of parasites, bacteria, viruses etc ie all the potential pathogens that are part of fish “normal flora” change dramatically and quickly in ill fish

That belly looks oddly distended - if this is post feeding, you’re definitely over-feeding (which can lead to obesity and fat deposits throughout the fish (around organs, inside blood vessels etc))

It’s likely that this fish will be “happier” in isolation rather than in a community situation, it likely has no sight in the swollen eye and will be weaker in general

For treatment, just maintain excellent water quality (daily water change), optimal temperature (for species, is a range, choose lower end re potential bacterial infection)
You might treat for external parasites as these (available) medications are very effective and any stressed fish will have elevated levels (of external parasites)

It’s not good belly, it’s like it all the time and it seems to be getting bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that update, I’d opt for euthanasia (choosing a time based upon fish behaviour)

If fish seems active and is eating normally, you can certainly opt for hospice care
but I’d not place fish back into the community tank

(none of the aquarium trade medications will treat this sort of condition and most medications are stressful to fish
Baytril injections can be helpful for internal bacterial infections but won’t have much impact if there are tumours etc)

Well according to my partner whose fish it is the Popeye has been there for a long long time, the distended belly though happened when it started losing its blue coloring, there was a patch of silver in the middle of it, but as you can see from the pic, that blue line is now solid again. We really don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Just keep fish in QT for a few weeks and see how it goes
(I’m assuming this is a suitable tank with filter etc)

Yeah it’s a fluval Edge with all the needed hardware and some places for him to shelter in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back