• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this Green Spot?

NathanG

https://goo.gl/photos/u53Dd9e5yXUWyGaW6

Noticed it a few days ago but it was quite small. Done a bit of research but still unsure if its green algae or green spot. If there is any difference.

Tank is about 45 days old with carpet about 30 days in. High light with high co2.

Everything seems normal but not done a water test yet.

Is this something i should treat with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%?

Thanks

That is certainly a green spot of algae, maybe not the exact same species as GSA, but it doesn't really matter which species it is. Why not just scrub it off?

Thanks. I was wondering if the best idea was to use H202 and scrub to prevent it coming back? I'll see how it goes with just a regular scrub tomorrow during WC.

Using H2O2 won't prevent it coming back, if the conditions are right it will just grow again. You can try and "spot dose" H2O2 if you already have it handy and don't want to scrub it, but scrubbing is more effective and safer (no risk of incorrectly dosing and damaging plants).

Just scrub it and wait for the tank to mature and plants to grow in more, you can try reducing the light too.

Nice tank btw :).

Hi all,
Using H2O2 won't prevent it coming back, if the conditions are right it will just grow again.
That is the one. You could get snails to graze the rock, I have Red Ramshorn, but other people, with harder water, will use Nerites etc.

Basically if you have nutrients and light plants will grow, and that is just a plant you don't want. Personally I would want the biofilm to cover the rock, and make it look less unnatural.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,That is the one. You could get snails to graze the rock, I have Red Ramshorn, but other people, with harder water, will use Nerites etc.

Basically if you have nutrients and light plants will grow, and that is just a plant you don't want. Personally I would want the biofilm to cover the rock, and make it look less unnatural.

cheers Darrel

Yeh i don't mind the look especially when it fills the rocks completely. I guess if it's not harmful and the shrimp im adding will keep it in check it will look nice. Cheers

Using H2O2 won't prevent it coming back, if the conditions are right it will just grow again. You can try and "spot dose" H2O2 if you already have it handy and don't want to scrub it, but scrubbing is more effective and safer (no risk of incorrectly dosing and damaging plants).

Just scrub it and wait for the tank to mature and plants to grow in more, you can try reducing the light too.

Nice tank btw :).

Thanks, still early days yet. Need my other plants but not decided yet tbh. Will probably leave the algae for now and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Hi all,
I guess if it's not harmful and the shrimp im adding will keep it in check it will look nice.
It is difficult to control the Green Algae (<"Viridiplanta">), because they have the same pigments and basic physiology as all the other plants (Mosses, Ferns and Higher plants).

In nature a hard surface, like a rock, provides a physical support for all sorts of "biofilm", which is then grazed by a variety of organisms (such as snails and shrimps). If you supply nutrients and light, and you don't want biofilm, you have to either have an "in tank cleaning crew", or you have to remove the biofilm by physical, or chemical, means.

I would love this wood in one of my tanks (from <"is it weird....">) or from <"Algae heritage">

10252438956_17050b3883_z-jpg.28924.jpg

pic011ar-jpg.1652.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,It is difficult to control
10252438956_17050b3883_z-jpg.28924.jpg

cheers Darrel
It is indeed but not only to get rid of it.. I have this one growing and dissapearing in my low tech tank.. It pops up somewhere and a few months later it is reducing or completely gone again.. Everytime i see it i'm hopping to get something like that on the above picture.. :) Darn stuff, i have no idea why.. Might be the shrimps like it beter if it is aged enough and than eat it all..

If you supply nutrients and light, and you don't want biofilm, you have to either have an "in tank cleaning crew", or you have to remove the biofilm by physical, or chemical, means.

Golden longfin pleco is a pefect candidate for cleaning this type of algae. I got four and never see the it on my wood and rock

I have several wood pieces covered with the stuff in photo and routinely see shrimp's,guppy fry,baby bristlenose fry working it over.
Have not moved the wood with anubia attached in a couple year's and am pleased that the stuff only grows on the wood and a couple large river stones I placed in the tank two year's ago to hold the wood down.
I used to try and eradicate the stuff via Hydrogen peroxide or plucking it off with finger's /Hemostats, but now have come to like the look and the afore mentioned critter's also seem to like exploring it.

It is indeed but not only to get rid of it.. I have this one growing and dissapearing in my low tech tank.. It pops up somewhere and a few months later it is reducing or completely gone again.. Everytime i see it i'm hopping to get something like that on the above picture.. :) Darn stuff, i have no idea why.. Might be the shrimps like it beter if it is aged enough and than eat it all..

It's filling in like mad now. The bottom rock i have is nearly completely green, although i did try to attach some moss but i buggered it up a little so waiting for it to possibly grow. Unfortunately its spread to the glass but the shrimp will hopefully take care of most of it.

Golden longfin pleco is a perfect candidate for cleaning this type of algae. I got four and never see the it on my wood and rock

Will keep this in mind incase it goes wrong thanks.

I have several wood pieces covered with the stuff in photo and routinely see shrimp's,guppy fry,baby bristlenose fry working it over.
Have not moved the wood with anubia attached in a couple year's and am pleased that the stuff only grows on the wood and a couple large river stones I placed in the tank two year's ago to hold the wood down.
I used to try and eradicate the stuff via Hydrogen peroxide or plucking it off with finger's /Hemostats, but now have come to like the look and the afore mentioned critter's also seem to like exploring it.

Yeh wasn't too keen on H202 everytime i get some algae so will just let the shrimp do it's thing.

Back