• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this normal for frogbit roots?

Dominik K

Hi All

Is this normal for frogbit root?
When i got them (and all the new growth) had smooth roots. Is it normal root hair, or is this dome sort of hair algea?

Attachments

• 20210920_184827.jpg
    20210920_184827.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,304
  • 20210920_184823.jpg
    20210920_184823.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Hi All

Is this normal fir frogbit root?
When i got them (and all the bew growth) had smooth roots. Is it normal root hair or is this dome sort of hair algea?
Yep! the "hair" is all normal and I take is as a good sign as all my frog bit got the "hairy" roots and are growing like crazy - just weeded out a ton over the weekend. Always hurts to toss completely healthy plants :(

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Yes, entirely normal. The ‘hairy’ bits are to allow the plant to increase its surface area, in order to uptake more nutrients.

You can trim the roots if they get too unruly, and the plants will be fine - leave an inch or two and new roots will shoot off the sides.

Always hurts to toss completely healthy plants :(
It took me months to get to the point where I was completely ruthless about binning large volumes of perfectly healthy floaters. I still struggle with stems tbh. This is why if I ever tried to make an Iwugami it would still end up as a jungle!

Thanks guys!

I wasn't sure, I seem to get some weird algea & fungal stuff going on so wasn't sure if this is something I need to tackle as well..
I'm enjoying these plants a lot, despite the fast flow they seem to be thriving and makes the neon tetras much happier.

I got rid of all the duckweed which got sold to me as salvinia :confused:
Because of the rapid growth and fats flow I seem to be getting tonnes of it just clumping up and rotting so I'm just going to stick with frogbit.

It took me months to get to the point where I was completely ruthless about binning large volumes of perfectly healthy floaters. I still struggle with stems tbh. This is why if I ever tried to make an Iwugami it would still end up as a jungle!
Hi @Karmicnull Sure. I know, Its just that we put so much effort into making our aquatic plants thrive and grow - by getting the light, fertilizer, maintenance, flow/circulation right - and when we get successful at it, we have to face the merciless reality of having to toss out perfectly healthy plants in order to maintain what we have going... Well, I guess it is really no different from what we do when we trim the vegetation in our yard (for those of us who are doing that kind of thing)... :)
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
That's. Because of the floaters are not limited to co2 and your stems probably are. At least you know youve got enough nutrients in your water column.

Back