• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this palm worth re-potting??

EA James

Morning all,
I’ve got this small red palm, sorry I don’t know the name! its been looking a bit sorry for itself recently and the leaves have started to yellow and it’s become loose in it’s pot around the trunk, as if it was just about to fall over!
I was going to repot it in some fresh soil, is it worth it? If so any tips? Should I trim the roots back like in my aquarium plants?
Any help would be great
Cheers, James EBB99AB5-A27B-4DD3-B293-5E40A8651291.jpeg B881BE62-BD7D-4FF7-88B2-0BC356DCF6B5.jpeg 7F55636D-FCD1-4A94-94A9-278DB4FE17DA.jpeg

If none of the stems feel soft then definitely give it a go. It doesn't look to bad but they can suffer from being to wet, which causes root rot that can move up the stem. I'd just repot it in something with good drainage that won't get waterlogged in the winter. It's natural for the lower leaves to die off and these can be removed to form a clear stem.

Nothing felt soft but it has been extremely hot for a while now so it could have dried out. I do always water the palms sparingly but they are all in regular miracle grow compost soil, should I think about changing it?
Thanks guys that’s a great help

The roots look ok from what I can see so chances are it fine. I wouldn't worry to much about the compost it's in as they are pretty hardy plant (apart from in really really cold winters) so your compost should be fine. They are fine kept moist during the growing period, it's only really when things cool down that you want to make sure they don't get too wet. If it's in a pot just put some crocks or a layer of grit in the bottom to improve drainage. It's also worth raising the bottom of the pot off the floor slightly in winter but I wouldn't worry to much.

My cordyline is planted in the ground, never water it, basically it is ignored and the thing is massive. I`m not that keen on it to be honest.

@mell unfortunately mine have to go in pots as we have all block paving! We’ve got quite a few palms and I think they’d do so much better in the ground but I have no choice!

These do get massive. I have a few different coloured ones and the greens are very rampant. Ours was about 10 foot high when it was killed by the extremely cold winter of 2013 but has since regrown from its base into a multi headed 12 foot plus monster. I'm not overly keen on it myself but it was a gift, plus every year the sparrows nest in it.

Well if you are ever passing by Leicester and want an over 6 foot tall red cordyline, let me know 👍
Haha will do, top man :)

@mort that’s some good growth in 7 years!

So I’m guessing you two know your palms?!.. I’ll take some pics of a few of the others and if you could me identify them I could care for them a bit better?

any signs of vine weaves about, adults on the ground or grubs in the soil?

root growth looks poor and might have been victim to the young, there is a nematode treatment or of course a much harsher pesticide, plants ion pots tend to suffer from it, far more than those in the ground, so one to always keep an eye out for and if soils there for more than a season I always treat, as sometimes the only time you find out is when the plant falls over one day

Hi all,
It looks OK. My guess is the fibrous roots at the bottom are dead, but the plant should recover.
Any help would be great
153046-ad1157172ce4ab997bfac3de5ae4e2de.jpg
153047-bf2c2177778d8f231928edf532b1ed14.jpg
153048-fddd1657b21dfb8cf9d0589f8511e95c.jpg
Just pot it more deeply so the new stem roots, that you can see in the photo, are under the compost. They will grow out and the plant should perk up then.

As the others have said it is a <"Torbay "Palm"> (<"Cordyline australis">) and they are pretty tough.

These are closely related to <"Lucky "Bamboo">, so not a Palm and not Bamboo.

cheers Darrel

Back