• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this rock ok to use without issues???

Keetchy

So I managed to score 3 big pieces of rock for nada. Plan is to break them down into smaller pieces and use with the Seiryu stone I have for an Iwagumi tank.

Question is.....is the rock safe to use? I chipped away at the rock and poured vinegar on it which then started to slightly fizz. I know this alters the hardness and PH of the water. But is it still ok to use as long as the PH settles and stabilises?

20200521_154505.jpg

20200521_154511.jpg

20200521_154518.jpg

20200521_154529.jpg

20200521_154535.jpg

Thanks bud.

Someone has just dismantled their pond so they were giving away dozens of rocks this size. So took 3 of them off his hands. Lol.

So bleach it, scrub it, clean it, dechlorinate it, test the PH and KH of water in a bucket then test again after 24 hours of rock being in there???

Lol! I'd literally do nothing with it other than pick off the moss and wash off any obvious muck unless you've reason to believe it's contaminated somehow. But maybe i'm a bit cavalier.

Otherwise, yes to your bucket test. At least it will give you some indication of the size of effect, if any.

Hi all,
Looks like limestone.
I think it looks like Lias limestone, which would be a <"local rock to you">.
I know this alters the hardness and PH of the water.
It will only make your water harder if it isn't already saturated with CaCO3.
I'd literally do nothing with it other than pick off the moss and wash off any obvious muck
Same for me.

If your tap water is anywhere about 18dKH then the <"rocks won't add to that">, the water is already saturated with Ca++ and HCO3- ions.

cheers Darrel

Thanks guys. I think I'll bleach clean it just to be on the safe side. I'll probably end up just putting loads of it in the tank and then monitor as the early days and weeks of the start up pass by.

Good thing is, I've broke the 3 pieces down to quite a few pieces now. Some nice shapes come out of it. Makes it easier to scape and clean too

IMG_20200521_203801.jpg

Back