• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this too much flow?

phillarrow

Seedling
I have a HOB filter on my 25L nano planted tank and am concerned that, as the return is via sliders which basically 'drop' the water into the tank, the surface disturbance is stripping CO2 from my water. I was thinking of replacing it with an external and already have a spare Rena Filstar XP1 which I could use. The trouble is it is rated at 750LPH. Even halving that (allowing for media and flow reduction etc) gives 375LPH. Is that too much for a 25L tank? (N.B. There is no flow control on this filter) If so, could anybody reccommend a good, cheap external for a tank this small?

Cheers, Phill

I guess it depends if your fish are happy with the flow from it. If it doesn't turn it into a whirl pool I don't see a problem :) You could consider a second hand Fluval 104/105 (400lph I think), or low end Eheim classic perhaps (2211/2213 maybe).

I will be getting a 2213 from someone on the forums soon to go on my 54 litre :)

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go I think. All I've got to do now is persuade the missus to let me cut through the back of the sideboard so I've got somewhere to put it!

Ive got an eheim classic 2211 and a tetratec ex600 running on either of my two 25lt nanos (24x8x8") and I would actually say the flow could do with being a bit stronger. An 800 or even 1000 wouldn't do any harm I don't think.

Sam

edit - as Steve says, proving the fish don't mind that is.

Edit 2 - Ive got to put some holes in the back of our new oak sideboard for my new 48". That's going to be some painful cutting I can tell you! :wideyed: :?

Back