• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this wood safe to use?

Hi Carl,
looks like some nice pieces there. I think most wood is safe to use, just needs soaking, scrubbing and boiling if possible. I remember a classic video of George Farmer with a 'nose pinching' mask and wetsuit dragging a huge piece of wood from a uk lake for aquarium use, check it out for a laugh if nothing else :lol: :

Anyway heres a thread to have a read through, may help you out:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17399
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi all,
I think it is Ivy (Hedera helix) heart-wood (from the adult flowering Ivy in a tree canopy).
Picture+110276.jpg

Personally don't think there is a problem using it. It has been soaking and then dried out, which should have got rid of any toxins that it might have contained when alive.

If you are worried put it in with some Daphnia, they are used a lot for bio-assays and are sensitive to most toxins.

cheers Darrel

Thx for the replies its much appreciated, im gonna run a bath of scolding hot water and give it a good scrub where its been outside but i think these are gonna look good in the tank. :)

Carl

(woo better reword that im gonna place the wood in a scolding hot bath and scrub the wood clean)

Back