Is this wood safe?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by aaronnorth, 14 Mar 2009.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Hi all,
    we've just trimmed a massive tree/ bush in the back garden but i am unsure if it would be safe to use in an aquarium. When i snapped some smaller branches of the inside was softwood, but on some thicker, older branches it was hard with just a small amount of softwood inside. Hopefully these pics will help.

I dont think it will be safe due to it being soft but i thought i might aswell try :rolleyes:

DSCF0031-1.jpg
    DSCF0037.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg

Thanks for your help

2. jay

jay Member

Boil it a few times and strip the bark. If you have a container and spare heater hany, then you can leave the wood in hot water for a couple of weeks, see if it leeches anything nasty.
    Personally, I wouldn't really trust it.
    Looks very spongy in the middle.

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Thats my worries too, i think the sponge will rot - i have just remebered about the manzanita driftwood, i will get some of that instead.

Thanks.

4. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

I only use wood that has been long term dead and bone dry inside. Usually, all ther bark will have fallen off, too.

Dave.

5. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

No it's still quite alive.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'd agree, definitely not suitable.

James

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

It is been there a week, only a few of the thinner branches are dead & dry, but like i say, i dont think it would of been any good anyway.

thanks.

8. TLH

TLH Member

You shouldn't really use softwoods in tanks as it will rot over time. Most of the wood you get from shops has been kicking around for years so most in not all of the rottable matter is gone already. Theres nothing to say you can't use it but it will just get to be a pain, plus as said it could leach stuff quicker.

Do you know what tree species it is? It looks like Elder to me and I wouldn't use that because the bark and roots are most commonly used to make laxatives. I don't know what effect that would have on your fish but why take the chance.

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Yes it is eldar, :lol: at least they wouldnt be constipated lol