• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this wood safe?

aaronnorth

Hi all,
we've just trimmed a massive tree/ bush in the back garden but i am unsure if it would be safe to use in an aquarium. When i snapped some smaller branches of the inside was softwood, but on some thicker, older branches it was hard with just a small amount of softwood inside. Hopefully these pics will help.

I dont think it will be safe due to it being soft but i thought i might aswell try :rolleyes:

DSCF0031-1.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

Thanks for your help

Boil it a few times and strip the bark. If you have a container and spare heater hany, then you can leave the wood in hot water for a couple of weeks, see if it leeches anything nasty.
Personally, I wouldn't really trust it.
Looks very spongy in the middle.

jay said:
Boil it a few times and strip the bark. If you have a container and spare heater hany, then you can leave the wood in hot water for a couple of weeks, see if it leeches anything nasty.
Personally, I wouldn't really trust it.
Looks very spongy in the middle.

Thats my worries too, i think the sponge will rot - i have just remebered about the manzanita driftwood, i will get some of that instead.

Thanks.

I only use wood that has been long term dead and bone dry inside. Usually, all ther bark will have fallen off, too.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
I only use wood that has been long term dead and bone dry inside. Usually, all ther bark will have fallen off, too.

Dave.

No it's still quite alive

It is been there a week, only a few of the thinner branches are dead & dry, but like i say, i dont think it would of been any good anyway.

I'd agree, definitely not suitable

thanks.

You shouldn't really use softwoods in tanks as it will rot over time. Most of the wood you get from shops has been kicking around for years so most in not all of the rottable matter is gone already. Theres nothing to say you can't use it but it will just get to be a pain, plus as said it could leach stuff quicker.

Do you know what tree species it is? It looks like Elder to me and I wouldn't use that because the bark and roots are most commonly used to make laxatives. I don't know what effect that would have on your fish but why take the chance.

Back