• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Isnt going as well as i thought it would *pics*

the Guru!

Recently upgraded from low light and no ferts or CO2 to > ferts, pressurized CO2, 2WPG T5 lighting.

And it isnt going as well as i thought :( I dont know what im doing wrong! CO2 is in the green in drop checker and im dosing TPN+ daily

This is a picture of my Microsorum after being in the tank a few days, note the black tips, and the leaves are going abit pale wich you cant see in the pic because of the bad picture quality;

dsc00152eh8.jpg

And here is a pic of my Pogostemon H. wich is lookin very pale, but also a very bad picture;

dsc00154qj1.jpg

And an overall shot of the tank, This is not what i plan to do with it, the rocks are just keeping the redmoor down untill it doesnt float, and the plants are just chucked in, havent even atempted the carpet wich is why there still in the pots! im reluctant to carry on if im honest.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!

ugettheideawp9.jpg

Hi,
You need to add more of everything. More CO2 and more TPN+. Double or triple the TPN+ dosage and increase the injection rate if the fish can handle it. Also ensure that the CO2 is on 1-2 hours prior to lights coming on. It can be shut down an equal amount of time before the lights go off. It could also be that you have poor distribution/flow. Is your filter rated at 10X the tank volume per hour? This is our rule of thumb so if not then either add another filter or a powerhead to get better circulation.

Cheers,

I plan on getting a new filter as soon as i can afford it, currently im running x2 internals wich i have no idea flow rate they are. I can see CO2 doing a full rotation of the tank.

Im dosing 4ml of TPN+ daily and the tank is 90ltr
Ill crank it up to 5ml :? I think EI might be a better option, just need to get my head round it somtime.

The co2 comes on 2 hours prior to lights on, and off 1 hour before lights off.

What would the fish be likely to do if the CO2 is too much for them? gasping?

I wouldve thought 2 internals should be easily enough. ferts would be my guess.

the Guru! said:
I plan on getting a new filter as soon as i can afford it
The real false economy is that by not using dry salts you are paying about 100X more for ferts than you need.

the Guru! said:
I can see CO2 doing a full rotation of the tank.
Nope, sorry. This is an optical illusion. All you can really see are CO2 bubbles floating around the tank. No one can see the actual dissolved CO2 concentration in their tank. If you could, you would immediately reach for the needle valve in a heartbeat.

the Guru! said:
What would the fish be likely to do if the CO2 is too much for them? gasping?
Yes that's right. When they start gasping back off. In crease the injection rate gradually over a few days. Increase the bubble rate and observe for a few hours. Additional tips in this article CO2 MEASUREMENT USING A DROP CHECKER

the Guru! said:
Ill crank it up to 5ml :?
5 ml is not much better than 4 ml. Try 8ml.

the Guru! said:
I think EI might be a better option, just need to get my head round it somtime.
I've never understood what needs to be wrapped. A 90L tank gets the following EI dosage:
1/4 tsp KNO3 3X per week
1/16 tsp KH2PO4 3X per week
1/16 tsp trace element mix 2X per week
Do a 50% water change or more 1X per week

End of scene. I don't get why this needs head wrapping :?: Study this article EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS maybe you have to read it a couple times but just ask questions.

Cheers,

I've never understood what needs to be wrapped. A 90L tank gets the following EI dosage:
1/4 tsp KNO3 3X per week
1/16 tsp KH2PO4 3X per week
1/16 tsp trace element mix 2X per week
Do a 50% water change or more 1X per week

End of scene. I don't get why this needs head wrapping :?: Study this article EI DOSING USING DRY SALTS maybe you have to read it a couple times but just ask questions.

Its simply because i have not actually ever looked at it and took it in, not that i dont think i couldnt understand it.

Thanks for the info, ill order the dry ferts soon as i can :) top man.

Untill then, ill dose 8ml of TPN+ and see how it goes.

Hiya and welcome. Just a thought, are the ferns planted in the substrate? it looks like it? if so, get them tied on a rock and they'll be fine. Those leaves with black tips....cut them off a the rhizome and you'll get some good new growth. No need to worry mate, it's all a learning curve and a wise man once said to me.... "the only things that happen quickly in an aquarium are bad things"
Cheers

Dan

for easy EI try the calc in my sig. I swear by it.. its handy to convert to grams if you have a scale.

Although TPN+ is technically still EI, using dry salts will enable you to fine tune each fert individually as you need... for example: GSA add more P04.

Dan Crawford said:
Just a thought, are the ferns planted in the substrate? it looks like it?

Nah there not mate, its tied on a peice of flat slate.

for easy EI try the calc in my sig

Thanks, ill have a look at it.

Back